IS Applications Planning 21/22 to 23/24
Overview of IS Applications IT Planning 2021/22 to 2023/24
About Applications Directorate Planning
The planning for our 3 year cycle 2021/2022 - 2023/2024 is now underway.
The purpose of the process is:
1. To identify the IT systems needs of the University community including major initiatives
2. To prioritise the use of the core funded resources allocated to the Applications Directorate and our business partners
Resources are allocated to us through core University funding to support central IT systems. These core funded resources are used to undertake work that has to be done to IT systems because there is no practical alternative solution, the work is prioritised on the basis of risk to the University’s business. Where significant investment is required, we help our partners to bid for resources through the University planning process.
We also undertake sponsor funded projects – these are projects which are funded by the sponsoring organisation either through existing budgets or through bidding for funds through the University planning process.
How we can help
For all your proposals, regardless of funding status, our staff will help you:
- Develop credible proposals that can be successfully delivered through project activity
- Ensure that your proposals are costed accurately and that the benefits are identified and realistically valued
- Identify whether your needs can be met by existing IT based services or solutions
- Advise you on how your needs may be met by new or emerging technology solutions
- Leverage our connections across campus to help you socialise and gain stakeholder support for your proposal
- Identify connections with existing change programmes including Digital Transformation
- Develop proposals that can be submitted to College and Support Group planning processes, Knowledge Strategy Committee or other funders
Proposals Identified in Previous Plans
Our planning process is a rolling process so that when we reach the end of year 1, we take stock and plan for the subsequent 3 years – using what was years 2 and 3 as our starting point. These proposals have not been prioritised are a good starting point for our discussions with partners and the drafting of our revised 3 year plan.
Sponsor Funded 3 Year Plan
In order for us to understand the demand for Sponsor Funded work, we ask that Sponsor Funded Proposals are provided using the same timeline as Core Funded proposals. Whilst we consider Sponsor Funded requests at any time in the year (with 3 months notice of start date), resources are likely to be limited in 2021/22, so work identified during planning will typically take priority. We appreciate that you may not have confirmation that funding will be available to support your proposals at the point of submission, we can follow up on this later in the year.
Should you need support with any submissions to the University planning round ahead of the timeline described here, we will be glad to help and will make sure that the right people are available for scoping and estimation discussions.
Key dates for the process include:
Friday 5th March 2021
Deadline for Core and Sponsor Funded Proposals
Friday 26th March 2021
Preliminary List of Core Funded Proposals Published
Monday 29th March 2021
Core Funded Consultation Begins
Friday 7th May 2021
Core Funded Consultation Ends
Early August 2021
Applications Directorate 3 Year Plan Published
Our Portfolio and Programme Managers will be contacting their Portfolio and Programme contacts to work through the process together.
Our primary contacts within the Applications Directorate are:
|3 Year Planning Process||
T: 0131 650 8194
|Colleges and University Secretary's Group||
T: 0131 651 4195
T: 0131 650 9308
T: 0131 650 9689