IT Infrastructure Division (ITI) 20/21
2020-21 is another year of planning and delivering transformation and growth for the university, much of it via the benefits delivered by ITI projects across its programmes and projects.
However, this year sees a significant impact on budgets and therefore planning from COVID-19. This means that the normal planning timescale is delayed this year so proposing and confirming new projects for 20-21 will be expected in Q2. There will be new projects as part of the ART prioritisation of work. All new projects for 20-21 will be indicated by being in the 300 range
Therefore, as we start the new year, again due to COVID-19, we see a large number of carry-over projects from last year which will be progressed through the Q1/Q2 period.
Replacement of the data network and the phones network, the Internet of Things and City Deal, plus development of our new Data Safe Haven and Data Vault services and continuing DRS Outreach: all are significant, strategic developments which ITI are enabling.
ITI also continues to ensure our systems and infrastructure are compliant, updated and secure - with major projects to upgrade our desktops to Windows 10, upgrade our door access system, and several projects to improve our firewalls and internal network security.
The division continues to roll out and adopt formal project management to improve delivery, visibility of work, better allocation of resources, and the management, governance and reporting of projects.
There are nine programmes for 2020/21
- Communications Sub-Portfolio
- Desktop Services Sub-Portfolio
- Enterprise Services Sub-Portfolio
- Research Services Sub-Portfolio
- Each owned by the Section Head and managed by an ITI programme manager
- Divisional and Directorate Emergent programme, where significant cross-section effort is involved
- Owned by the Director and managed by the ITI portfolio manager
- Windows 10 Compliance programme, aligned with Desktop
- Edinburgh International Data Facility Vision-Led programme, owned and managed by Data Technology
- Internet of Things Vision-Led programme, owned and managed by Data Technology
- Data Technology Emergent programme, owned and managed by Data Technology
- Digital Research Services Portfolio Portfolio of projects, mostly aligned with Research Services programme
- Governed by steering groups/programme/portfolio boards
- Current Position
31st December 2020 2020/21 Projects Planned Not Started In Progress Closed Withdrawn RAG Red / Amber Programme Risks/Issues Comment Communication and Infrastructure 4 from 19/20 0
4 (2 suspended)
AMBER Lack of PM Resource and ITI Staff Desktop Services 4 from 19/20 1 2 1 AMBER Lack of PM Resource and ITI Staff Windows 10 Deployment 4 from 19/20 1 3 0 GREEN Enterprise Services 7 from 19/20 1 New 0 5 3 AMBER Lack of PM Resource Research Services 12 from 19/20 2 New 1 7 6 AMBER Lack of PM Resource and ITI Staff Digital Research Services Portfolio (7 from 19/20) (0) (3) (4) AMBER DRS projects are within RSS programme Divisional and Directorate 4 from 19/20 5 New 1 5 3 GREEN IoT 1 from 19/20 0 1 (1 suspended) 0 GREEN Edinburgh International Data Facility 3 from 19/20 1 New 1 3 (1 suspended) 0 GREEN Data Technology 1 from 19/20 2 New 1 1 (1 suspended) 1 GREEN 51 planned for 20-21 Total
11 20-21 projects
40 19-20 projects
1 21-22 project
|INF152||Coldfusion Upgrades CF11||AMBER||May 2021||Sue Woodger||ISG - IS Applications Infrastructure (INF)|
|INF149||Move Oracle databases to VMs - Phase 2||GREEN||May 2021||David Watters||ISG - IS Applications Infrastructure (INF)|
|INF150||AppsUtil OS EOL build Centos 7 version||BLUE||April 2021||Anne Mathison||ISG - IS Applications Infrastructure (INF)|
|INF142||Move IS based Oracle databases to VMs and stretch cluster||BLUE||May 2021||David Watters||ISG - IS Applications Infrastructure (INF)|