Report for March 2020

Report Date
March 2020

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Programme Commentary

This month the programme has been heavily impacted but the current COVID-19 situation. A wider project review was undertaken by senior management and the programme manger informed that several projects were to be deferred. These projects have been given the RAG status of RED.

From the projects that have progressed, the SOA upgrade LIVE deployment was not successful due to a firewall issue. Although this was rolled back, the work that was completed will make a new deployment much simpler. Scheduling for this is in progress.

The Office 365 Security project has suffered from a key resource  needing to concentrate on other work as a result of the current situation. This work is now replanned with the team committed to delivering the project in this financial year.

The Wiki project has also become AMBER due to the late release of the version we aim to implement within the project. 

RAG Status and Forward Look

Resources

Section Two: Projects Not Started

COM054 Annual JIRA Upgrade tbc (Student Intern) Starting June 20

 

Section Three: Projects in Progress

 

Project Info Project Manager's Commentary
COM043 SOA Upgrade to v12

Compliance

Milestones

Delivery TBC
Deployment Sign Off Review TBC
Close TBC

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Adam Wadee for March 2020

Achievements in last period

  • The go live to v12 went ahead on 17th March but had to be rolled back.  The SOA changes deployed successfully but we encountered issues connecting to the ITI Central Auth and EASE services and the CIS VPN, Wireless and Laplan services.
  • We are working with ITI to resolve the firewall issues - with their help, we managed to the EASE and Central Auth connections working, but the CIS services appear to have different firewall rules.  Given the current situation it was agreed to roll back.

Issues

  • As above.

  • Milestones to be revised.

Next steps

  • Work with ITI to resolve the firewall issues for their services.

  • Schedule another suitable go live date with business partners.

RAG Commentary
The SOA v12 deployment to Live was not successful due to firewall issues with downstream services. We are currently working with ITI to resolve the firewall issue. Once they are resolved we will look to schedule a date for another deployment.

COM045 IDM Database Upgrade

Compliance

Milestones

Suspended

 

RAG Status

RED

Report by Chris Konczak for March 2020

Achievements this period

  • Meeting held to discuss the restart in April. Discussion around resourcing and the move to VM machines on restart

Issues

  • Currently waiting on a decision on whether to restart the project or keep it in suspension. There are two factors in this -
    • The impact of the Coronavirus has meant reprioritising a number of projects, it is still unclear whether COM045 will be suspended, withdrawn or allowed to continue. This is a decision needed from PMO, Head of Production and Head of Service Management.
    • The COM043 SOA upgrade had to be rolled back, and COM045 is still dependant on COM043 deploying and moving to DSOR before it can continue
RAG Commentary
Due to the COVID-19 situation, this project has been suspened for 3 months.

COM050 Wiki: Annual Upgrade

Compliance

Milestones

DEV build sign off 30-Apr-2020
Integration testing sign off 22-May-2020
Acceptance sign off 12-Jun-2020
Deploy to LIVE 24-Jun-2020
Deployment Sign Off Review (DSOR) 08-Jul-2020
Closure 17-Jul-2020

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Chris Konczak for March 2020

Achievements this period

  • Crowd R&D started and set up in an unobtrusive way so not linked to DEV. Service Management are hoping to have this completed by 09/04/2020

Issues

  • Due to interruptions and support issues Service Management has not been able to complete the Crowd R&D. No impact from this delay as the project is held up due to the following issue -
  • The release of the next Enterprise version of Confluence scheduled for end of March / beginning of April has not happened yet. This is presumably delayed due to the transition by most companies to working from home as a result of the Coronavirus.

Next Steps

  • Complete the Crowd research and development phase
  • Review and revise the milestones as the next enterprise version of Confluence has not been released as anticipated
  • Begin the DEV install of Confluence
RAG Commentary
Time is Amber. Issue: The enterprise version of Confluence has not been released as anticipated (end March / beginning April), therefore the project cannot proceed until this happens. Still anticipated for sometime in April, but could now result in milestone changes to DEV onwards.

COM051 Office 365 Security Hardening

Compliance

Milestones

O1 Tighten Access Controls on Office 365 Admin Accounts Complete 20-Mar-2019
O2 Tune Mailboxes and Mail-flow for Security Complete 01-May-2020
O3 Review Tools to Protect Mailbox Accounts Complete 13-Mar-2020
O4 Data Protection Measures Complete 30-Mar-2020
O5 Impact Assessment Complete

10-Apr-2020

Delivery Complete 01-May-2020
DSOR Sign-off 04-May-2020
Project Closure 08-May-2020

 

RAG Status: AMBER

 

Report by Kevin Hone for March 2020

Achievements in Last Period:

  • The project was re-planned. 
  • A portfolio review resulted in instruction that the project should be accelerated. 

Issues:

  • The WFH directive limited availability of Service Management staff to work on the project due to an increased number of helpline calls and staff having adopted reduced working hours.
  • The project has again had to report slippage against plan.
  • The change made to prevent anonymous calendar sharing had to be reverted.

Next Steps:

  • The project priority is to be increased from normal to higher.
  • A number of key deliverables are to be re-prioritised. Change record to be raised.
  • Service Managers have agreed to take a more active role given the limited availability of the Head of service Management/project sponsor.
  • Service Managers will handle the wider communications necessary to make change happen.
RAG Commentary
To work within the constraints of staff availability, the scope is now likely to lessen in the short term to focus on those deliverables which will bring most value in hardening security.

 

COM052 C-Host Infrastructure Replacement

Compliance

 

Milestones

Planning Sign-off 14-Jan-2020
Delivery complete 02-Apr-2020
Project Closure 01-May-2020

 

RAG Status

GREEN

 

Report by Mark Downey for March 2020

 

Achievements

  • Test Migrations all completed and successful. All performance metrics documented.
  • LIVE server builds(Cloudlinux 7 os) completed.
  • Build stage of Project completed

Issues 

  • Industrial action affected the continuous running of the project for around 3 weeks. Also the impact of everyone working from home and availability due to the Coronavirus impact has affected project too.It has pushed delivery and closure dates of projects, however the project should  still be delivered in time of the compliance dates of the servers 
  • First Live migration due to take place on 25th March was postponed due to the impact of the Coronavirus. It was deemed to high a risk as it was the first week all staff were working from home and a number of issues still existed with the university network and connectivity including the stability of the new VPN. A new migration plan has been put together with some more tests due to take place before Live migrations.

Next Steps

  • Another basic test migration will be run to check migrations work remotely from staff working from home ok. This will test the network and VPN performance
  • A new plan for LIVE migrations will be finalised and a series of migrations will now take place throughout April and May.
  • Rollback plan and Risk review to be completed by Project team and submitted to Gocab for the new LIVE migration plan and dates. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

COM055 O365 Staffmail Migration

Compliance

Milestones

Pilot migration: 21-Jan-20

Migration batches: Feb - Jun 2020

 

RAG Status

RED

 

Report by Tim Gray on behalf of Finoa Vine for March 2020

Achievements this period

  • Quotes received from third party suppliers. One has  been sent to Apps Director for approval.

Issues

  • The project has been earmarked for a 3-month deferral.

Next Steps

  • The project will now be suspended for 3 months.
RAG Commentary
Due to the COVID-19 situation, this project has been suspened for 3 months.

COM056 Accessibility Statements

Compliance

Milestones:

Project Brief Completion 03-04-2020
Delivery 17-Jul-2020
Closure 21-Aug-2020

 

RAG Status

RED

 

Report by Victoria Weinsberg for March 2020

Achievements in Last Period:

  • PICCL for change of planning date and overall extension of the duration of the project was approved  by WIS 27/03/2020
  • Resources for the first Milestone are secured and ready to start
  • Project Brief Draft is finalised

Issues:

  • Initial Planning deadline was not realistic. All dates have been moved by two weeks. Change 1
  • COVID-19 Outbreak is impacting all university resources and slows projects down due to lack of engagement and change of priorities  - Risk 8
  • Availability of Project Sponsor - Risk 9

Next Steps:

  • Final Sign Off by Key Stakeholders such as SSP,  AppsManagement and Project Sponsor
  • Review/Testing of the IS Apps through Software Development is ready to start
  • Final Estimate to be confirmed with Programme Manager
  • PICCL to be submitted to WIS for a temporary suspension and 3 months delay
  • Milestones to be moved out accordingly
RAG Commentary
The Project has been highly impacted by COVID-19 and limited availability and engagement by key staff members. Due to the change of overall priorities of projects across ISG, COM056 will now be moved by 3 months.

 

Section Four: Closed or Withdrawn Projects

Project Info Project Managers Commentary

COM047 Annual JIRA Upgrade

Project closed: closure report
COM053 CalSync Bi Annual Upgrade Project withdrawn: withdrawal
Programme Status
Has formal escalation taken place?
No

Documentation

Not available.