Report compiled by David Watters (Programme Manager) for Alex Carter (Programme Sponsor)
Section 1: Programme Summary
Programme Manager's Commentary
This month has seen some further delays across the programme with the majority of the COM projects having to move out remaining milestones. This obviously takes each project that is due to finish in this financial year a bit closer to the end of the FY and increases concerns about projects drifting and possibly creeping into 2021/22. The reasons for each delay are difficult to pin down exactly, but things are proving transitory when it comes to finalising work and getting the different tasks done in line (as far as possible) with the estimates and plans made earlier in the projects
Despite this, the programme has moved back to having more Green than Amber projects, with some of the previous blockers now being resolved. The Programme and Portfolio Managers are continuing to ensure that things do not become too stuck and get completed this year. The QlikView/QlikSense project will now be withdrawn for 2020/21. This will mean that the Programme budget will now move out of last month's deficit, with the returned effort going to the programme balance row and offsetting some of the projects that have used a bit more than estimated.
The IDM DB migration project has encountered further problems with UAT and user accounts, and these have led to the scheduled date for depolyment to LIVE being modified again. This is currently projected for early July but is still open to change. This project is AMBER.
The O365 Security Hardening project has had to be adjusted dates-wise again. This is because of the final checks and tasks needing to be extended. With the project back to GREEN, the project closure is now mooted for late June.
The Staffmail migration work is also GREEN. There are plans to complete the last migrations and draw the project to a close over the next month or so.
The Wiki Crowd Implementation project has been reported as AMBER because of the issue around merging users still waiting for input towards resolution from Atlassian. This has meant that there has been a need to shift the previously published milestones.
The VRS Rewrite project is now GREEN due to the resolution around the design decision on the VRS components. There continues to be a lot of effort put into advancing this one. There is a change of PM (because of workload) going through in early June.
Service Management have contacted downstream service owners to advise of the required UAT and to request test accounts. Accounts have been created for Development and Alumni and Student Systems for them to start UAT.
Progress has been slower than anticipated in progressing with UAT. HR have not been able to provide test accounts and are not able to do complete end to end testing. This is be because the feeds relate to P&M. HR are not able to create new accounts in the TEST environment yet. Production and Service Management are progressing with simulating a feed to test, but this remains a risk for completing end to end testing for HR.
The deployment date has been revised to 06/07/2021 so UAT can be completed. The project team have agreed this date and resourcing has been assigned. The PM is requires a response from Student Systems on whether this date is suitable. If this is not, annual leave and other deployments being carried out in July such as Apps LIVE risk pushing this project out into 2021/22.
Carry out UAT involving downstream service owners
Milestone revisions to be approved by WIS once response is received from SSP on deployment date
Three batches of accounts for Physics have been migrated.
Agreement reached on how to progress with the remaining accounts. Accounts with that meet certain criteria, which we do not think are still used, have been blocked. This reduced the outstanding account to a few hundred. Contact with these account holder/or areas will be undertaken to ascertain if these account need migrated
Process for blocking accounts approved by CAB
The "final" migration dates agreed for the remaining accounts are 10.06.2021 and 17.06.2021 and 24.06.2021
After the MI, the team developed a new process for clearing down O365 accounts prior to migration. This clear down purged item before a clear migration was progressed. However, it has emerged with some accounts that is an item is purged, the item is still technically in O365, resulting in the migration tool not migrating items which it thinks (Message ID) are already in O365. The solution to this is technically simple and can be run little impact on the user. We are reaching out to all account holders migrated using this process and asking them to check their migrate mail.
Continue with comms for remaining account holders
Continue to resolve issues with accounts migrated using the clear down.
Confirm and migrate final accounts
Prepare for closure
Despite the issue with some migrated accounts, the project RAG remains GREEN
The project team have written SQL / Python code in order to merge the Central Auth users with the Wiki users and to remove any duplicates. This was approved for use by Atlassian, although they have stated that the steps to complete the merge are not supported.
Annual leave in May has reduced progress on DEV by 1.5 to 2 weeks
The SQL code was run, however the LDAP merge did not work as the sync option also deleted the users that were inserted from running the SQL script. The LDAP merge is part of Atlassian's application, therefore the SQL script did what it was suppose to, the application did not. There are meetings with Atlassian to discuss the options to fix this.
Depending on the outcome of the meeting we could potentially need developer time. The developer in question is in high demand which risks the project running into 2021/22. There could be 3 outcomes:
Easy; in which case we should be able to close in July as planned
Harder; if resource availability permits we will be using the contingency, high risk of going into 2021/22
Budget Change Required – ie significant effort required in 2021/22, in which case a decision will be taken by the Programme on how to proceed.
Dev Tech and Service Management to meet with Atlassian and decision on how to proceed will be based on that outcome