Report for May 2019

Report Date
May 2019


Report by Mark Hay, MVMBUS Programme Manager.

for Jim Nisbet MVMBUS Programme Owner.

CMVM Head of IT (MVM Portfolio Manager) and Catherine Elliot (MVM Portfolio Owner)  


  • Campus / Deanery meetings.
  • College Operations Group (COG) meeting
  • Excerpts taken into CSG report.

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Programme Managers Commentary

MVM509 [Implementation of Vet Practice Management System]

Continued progress - and noted implementation phase is due for closure next report.

MVM522 [MVM Business Process Review for SharePoint Delivery]

Project now moving to final phase with a review of process. Development and implementation of roles for use the site & subsites.

MVM526 [Zhejiang Institute Repository ]

See project report

MVM516 [IS - Honours Project Portal move to central resources]

This project has now been initiated - details can be found in the documentation for the project - Next milestone is to provide a project brief. 



Section Two: Projects Not Started

Project Info   Programme Manager's Commentary


CMVM College IT communications strategy

Review to take place on validity

MVM503 CMVM IT Finance costs portfolio

Review to take place on validity

MVM507 Risk, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Review to take place on validity
MVM510 CMVM Digital literacy staff and student development Review to take place on validity
MVM514 CMVM Bioquarter Infrastructure & IT Services Development Review to take place on validity
[MVM509Implementation of Vet Practice Management System RAG is AMBER

Achievements in Last Period

  • PM and Project Sponsor held a call with FNS about service issues and the proposed additional development on user loading features; the outcome  was that FNS will charge a fixed price for the agreed work. This reduces risk to UoE and gives us a way to control costs for this work. 
  • Outstanding contractual issues (local Provet DB, ESCROW arrangements) not complete but in progress; it is these two deliverables that the Project Board need to be satisfied on in order to agree to closure of the implementation project. Local DB requires some additional DevTech effort to ensure that if a load is unsuccessful then the DB will restore to the most recent known good data copy; this is subject to DevTech availability but there is confidence this can be completed in June. PM and Snr Supplier have identified 2 separate routes for the ESCROW arrangements and are progressing this work to reach a solution that meets  the needs of R(D)SVS and that also can be agreed with FNS. 
  • Project Sponsor has approved FNS to commence work on the UoE data feed / User detail changes / VTO student load application, at a fixed price. PM has agreement from VTO that FNS's proposed solution for loading and editing of student details will suit their needs. PM has provided estimates for the coordination of this work and the necessary testing and final deployment of the staff extract to production on the UoE side, on acceptance. Given FNS's  schedule, this work is not guaranteed for delivery before the end of July; this is not contractual and so if the Project Board wish to close on completion of the contractual issues and move this work into a separate project - this will be covered at the next PB meeting;  for the moment the previous outstanding milestones will be revised along with an approved increase to the project budget to cover the additional costs of extending the project. 


  • No major issues.
  • PM availability is stretched due to resource conflict across projects. PM made clear to the PB that availability could not be guaranteed after March.  Revised  milestones take into account limited PM availability.
  • PM now has agreement for FNS to proceed with the user feed and VTO developments, and agreement on revised milestones and project budget increase.

Next Steps

  • Delivery of contractual items: locally replicated Prover DB and ESCROW arrangements.
  • Delivery of non-contractual items: coordinate FNS user  feed and VTO development
  • Close implementation project.


[MVM522MVM Business Process Review for SharePoint Delivery  RAG is AMBER


  • Academic Admin site continues to be developed via MVM colleagues
  • Usher have also commenced on their subsite development via MVM colleagues
  • Review of cmvm site ongoing - CPAG identified as required (confirmation needed on where it should reside), Vet school analysing their content


  • N/A no new risks and issues

Next Steps

  • PM targeting closure of project in July such that clear recommendations can be considered in 2019-20 academic year for smaller projects - approach not agreed yet with sponsor
  • College MVM stakeholders developing strategy - identifying training material- seeking to consolidate site content


[MVM526] Zhejiang Institute Repository RAG is AMBER

Achievements this period

  • Spreadsheet of control expanded to identify content to migrate (current location, target location), access group, permissions etc


  • Access to BMTO colleagues remains a concern

Next steps

  • ISG SharePoint team are ready to assist in migration activity once content is identified
  • Meeting scheduled with sponsor to review lack of progress - key business stakeholder has acknowledged PM proposal to close project in late July with clear recommendations for next year allowing for clean start




Section Four: Closed, Withdrawn or Suspended Projects (For legacy information)


Project Info Project Managers Commentary
MVM009 Closed
MVM512 Closed
MVM513 Closed
MVM519 Closed
MVM501 Closed


Project Info Programme Managers comments
[MVM511] CMVM College WWW Presence development Withdrawn
[MVM717] CMVM Developing the CMVM Intranet environment Withdrawn
[MVM521] Scientific Linux 7 (SL7) - Psychiatry Withdrawn
[MVM504] CMVM Digitisation of paper records Withdrawn
[MVM506] CMVM Reporting and data intelligence Withdrawn
[MVM503] CMVM Corporate Business Services review Withdrawn


Project Info Programme Managers comments



Not available.