Report for July 2017

Report Date
July 2017
Report by Muriel Mewissen on behalf of Alan Gilchrist (MVMLAT Programme Managers)                             
for Sheila Lodge (MVMLAT Portfolio Owner)
and Paul Clark (MVM Portfolio Manager) and Catherine Elliot (MVM Portfolio Owner)

 

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Commentary

During July, 26 days of IS Applications effort were spent on the programme. Good progress were made on MVM121: Reporting of Assessment Outcomes for External Bodies. The contract negotiation for MVM107: Procurement of an online application to support assessment and feedback for MBChB  are still ongoing but expected to complete soon. This should limit the impact and delay to MVM118: Deployment of FRY-IT Practique for MBChB and MVM119: Data Migration and Data Creation into FRY-IT Practique for MBChB

The overall status of the MVM Learning and Teaching programme is RED.

RED projects:

Please note that the project RAG status is following the revised guidelines: A one-page summary of the IS RAG status indicators is available on this page.

 

Forward Look - July 2017

 

Section Two: Projects Not Started

The remaining 10 projects below were not prioritised in 16/17. They were included in the planning for 17/18. The status of each of these will be updated in the new session following the outcome of the planning and prioritisation exercise for 17/18. It is expected that some of these may be withdrawn.

Project Programme Manager's Commentary
MVM102 Innovative Technology Review  
MVM103 Mobile Device Management  
MVM106 Student Print Strategy  
MVM108 Technology to support Attendance and Monitoring  
MVM109 Technology to support communications with potential students  
MVM110 Technology to support Open Educational Resources (OER)  
MVM112 Technology to support simulation teaching  
MVM113 Technology to support student portfolios  
MVM116 Video Strategy  
MVM117 Virtual Desktop and software access  

 

Section Three: Projects in Progress

Project Info Project Managers Commentary

MVM101: Connectivity - on-campus and off-campus

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
31-Jul-17 Closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Alan Gilchrist for July 2017

Achievements this period
  • Discussions held with Brian Ramsey in NHS Forth Valley around eduroam consultancy to rollout solution.
  • Support ticket raised with eduroam service providers at Jisc to answer specific questions.
  • Conversations held with NHS Lanarkshire to complete the eduroam configuration work - now due for completion in August, with more configuration work to be completed on 4th August by Khipu.
Issues
  • Conversations held with NHS Lothian to help support up to £20k of spend in 16/17 to support improvements to NHS Lothian infrastructure, however, business case from NHSL did not come to fruition and therefore opportunity missed / wasted to allocate year end under-spend.
  • Work will be carried into 17/18.
Next Steps
  • Liaise with NHS Lanarkshire to ensure that work is completed and communicated throughout the medical school.
  • Liaise with NHS Forth Valley to ensure that conversations continue into rolling out eduroam through consultancy with Jisc / NHS Lanarkshire input.
  • Work to pull together a closure report, and a very clear project brief for 17/18 to ensure that we also identify opportunities around govroam, commercial providers in Edinburgh, the City of Edinburgh Council, Lothian Buses, Easter Bush to support Provet and many others to be captured.

MVM104:

Strategy for the upgrade of our computer labs (annual)

 

Category Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
31-Jul-17 Closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Alan Gilchrist for July 2017

Achievements this period
  • All student computer labs and teaching spaces PCs scheduled for this year have been purchased and deployed.
 
 

MVM105:

Strategy for upgrade of our teaching spaces (annual)

Category Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Jun-17 Closure
 
RAG Status

AMBER

(Staying at amber as work is still required in a number of rooms and needs to be completed in between teaching sessions.)

Report by Alan Gilchrist for July 2017

Achievements this period
Vet School

All installations as per original designs were completed in early/mid July, however the additional installation on Echo360 equipment has caused a number of issues which has meant on-going teething problems.  A user familiarisation session has been scheduled for Friday 4th August.

Chancellor's Building

Microlabs 1 and 2

The exam partition screens are finally sorted and have been used for a number of exams.  The installation of new presentation equipment has been partially completed, however the supplier didn't purchase the projectors in time and we are therefore still using the old equipment.  The projectors should be installed mid/late August.

Undergraduate Medical Teaching Room

AV installation is complete and has been used for some year 4 and 6 teaching sessions.  Temporary chairs have been delivered for the room, which should be replaced some time in August.  The tables delivered aren't as requested, so these will need to be replaced in due course.

Boardroom

AV installation is complete and room has been used regularly throughout July.

Lecture Theatre A

AV equipment has been installed temporarily into the existing presentation desk.  Teaching sessions started on 24th July and room has been used daily.  Mediascape are scheduled to return on 14th August to install new desk and transfer equipment.  The picture-in-picture functionality should be installed at this time and a test link to the surgical theatre will be scheduled during that week.

SU209

AV equipment has all been installed and tested.  New furniture has been delivered and room was handed over to allow PG Viva bookings to be made from 28th July.  Familiarisation session scheduled for 3rd August.

Kennedy Tower Seminar Rooms

Installations were carried out as planned, however a few minor issues were found which will need correction in due course.  One of the cabinets was damaged in transit and needed a new side panel.  Teaching is due to start during the first week in August, so rooms are in a usable state for these.

MVM107:

Procurement of an online application to support assessment and feedback for MBChB

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
31-Jul-2017 Deployment complete - Award Contract Milestone
21-Aug-2017 Project Completion Milestone
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Paul De'Ath for July 2017

Achievements this period
  • Meeting held with Legal representation from UoE and Fry-IT to review the T&C and all associated comments and responses
  • Both teams seeking to complete the T&C's in early August
  • Contract signatories have been agreed on both sides
  • Business sponsor has agreed to a budget increase to cover the PM work in completing the sign off of the contract and then closing the project down
Issues
  • IS WIS have approved the initial final two milestone date moves (see below) which sees the project just creeping into the next financial year
  • Budget increased from 80 days to 93 days - as a consequence of the time taken by both parties requiring several interventions from the PM
  • No new risks emerged-Two risks remain around the contract and sign off, status viewable from the project link: https://www.projects.ed.ac.uk/unpublished/project/mvm107/risks
Next Steps
  • Procurement and Legal will now manage the T&C's from FRY-IT through to a successful contract
  • Create the closure report
  • This project will be closed, with a review at IS WIS

MVM111:

Technology to support short-notice communications to students

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
31-Jul-17 Closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Alan Gilchrist for July 2017

Achievements this period
  • Nothing new to report since last month.

 

MVM115:

Technology to support TransNational Education (TNE)

Category: Discretionary

Milestones

Target Date Title
31-Jul-17 All Biomedical Teaching Organisation input received as of end of May 2017 - IT Handbook updated
18-Aug-17 Delivery complete
20-Oct-17 Complete closure report
 
RAG Status

RED

(Over budget)

Report by Paul De'Ath for July 2017

Achievements this period
  • Tag change work complete
  • Year 1 students moving to year 2, all work ready to run in week 1 of August
Issues
  • Engagement with teams at Zhijiang to confirm progress with - under review
Next Steps
  • Complete prep work for year 2
  • Confirm whether project will be extended for a short period to provide context for new joiner within MVM (replacing Kate)
  • Agree ownership of the handbook
  • TBC - close the project

MVM118

Deployment of FRY-IT Practique for MBChB

Category: Discretionary

Milestones

Target Date Title
31-Jul-17 Dependency MVM107 contract with FRY-IT signed
 
RAG Status

AMBER

(Issue - the contract negotiations from MVM107 are taking longer than expected. Dates are moving to the right to accommodate, though note, this will squeeze the testing and configuration phase as we have hard dates for the exams.)

Report by Paul De'Ath for July 2017

Achievements this period
  • Placeholder dates agreed for August 21 and 22 for additional training, creation of environments and the first pilot run of an exa
Issues
Next Steps
  • Agree with FRY-IT the detailed agenda for August 21-22 workshop
  • The project will re-baseline it's plan on the basis of agreed Fry-IT commitment and also an extended scope agreed with MBChB and the Programme and Portfolio Managers. This will be presented to IS WIS later in August.

MVM119

Data Migration and Data Creation into FRY-IT Practique for MBChB

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones

Target Date Title
31-Jul-2017 Dependency MVM107 contract with FRY-IT signed
22-Aug-2017 Acceptance - Trial Exam content ready to run
31-Aug-2017 Implementation - Confirm ready with data
21-Dec-2017 Recommendation report created
31-Jan-2018 Closure
 
RAG Status

AMBER

(As with MVM107 and MVM118, delays to the contract being signed with FRY-IT are likely to have an impact if it doesn't complete this month - though less so with this project currently - targeting early August, which will give the project every opportunity to succeed)

Report by Paul De'Ath for July 2017

Achievements this period
  • MVM reviewing OSCA and OSCA+ extracts to remove duplication before Fry-IT formally review and import data (post contract being signed)
  • The creation of new content has continued
Issues
Next Steps
  • Targeting August 21 and 22 for the creation of the UoE environments and formal agreement to activities and dates
  • Depending on contract negotiations with FRY-IT, it is hoped to agree a high level timeline with FRY-IT, activity list has been discussed (no dates agreed)
  • The plan will be re-baselined alongside MVM118, though it is not anticipated that there are any scope changes required.

MVM121:

Reporting of Assessment Outcomes for External Bodies

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
08-Sept-2017 Delivery
22-Sept-2017 Project Closure
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Nicholas Graham for July 2017

Achievements
  • Business analysis of as-is system and to-be solution progressed.  
  • Delivery timescales re-baselined and approved.  
  • Interviews have established that issues #2 & #6 have materialised (see below).     
Issues
  • Issue - Project risks #s 2 & 6 (automatability of processes and availability of data) have materialised, meaning that the project will not be able to recommend an optimal solution for implementation in 2017/18.  No SMT action required.
Next Steps
  • Continue and complete business analysis. 
  • Build consensus for report recommendations of appropriate temporary use of spreadsheet solution while correct data storage and reporting strategies are implemented. 

MVM122:

Biomedical Sciences submission word count facility

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
TBC  
 
RAG Status

RED

(Staying at Red as it will not be possible to implement a solution in the timeframe (for mid-august))

Report by Alan Gilchrist for July 2017

Achievements
  • None
Issues
  • Paul Clark attempted to arrange a meeting with Karen Harris to discuss through this further.  Unfortunately, due to annual leave, this was not possible.
Next Steps
  • To arrange a discussion with Karen Harris to talk through options.  Project should be marked as overall red still and on time, as this will not be implemented in time as this is not technically feasible, but needs to be discussed with the business users to manage expectations around options and next steps.
  • It is possible that the scope of the project could change, to ensure that this becomes a rebuilt, supported system via LTW, rather than piece of software which has been developed by a member of the BMTO team with limited functionality.  To be discuss further with Karen.

 

Section Four: Closed or Withdrawn Projects

Project Info Project Manager's Commentary
MVM024 Integration and adoption of ISFM This project started in 15/16 project, and was suspended in May 2016. This project was closed in January 2017. Any remaining activities will be completed as part of MVM120 Windows 10 rollout to computer labs within the Windows 10 Upgrade for Managed Desktops (W10).  
MVM032 Speedwell Service Implementation This project was closed on the 24 March 2017. The Completion Report is now available.

 

 

Programme Info

Documentation

Not available.