Report for February 2018

Report Date
February 2018

                                

 

 

Report by Muriel Mewissen on behalf of Alan Gilchrist (MVMLAT Programme Managers) for Sheila Lodge (MVMLAT Programme Owner), and Catherine Elliot (MVM Portfolio Owner)
 
Distribution:
  • Vet and Medical School sub-group IT meeting
  • College Administration Team (CAT) meeting
  • College Undergraduate Learning and Teaching (CULT) committee
  • Post Graduate Learning and Teaching (PGLTC) committee
  • Excerpts taken into CSG report

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Commentary

During February, work continued successfully in all started projects. A new project has been added to the programme:

All projects are reporting a GREEN status, except for the following three projects which are AMBER:

The overall status of the MVMLAT programme is AMBER.

Please note that the project RAG status is following the revised guidelines: A one-page summary of the IS RAG status indicators is available on this page.

 

 

 

Forward Look - February 2018

 

Section Two: Projects Not Started

Two new projects are expected to start in 2017/18.

Project Programme Manager's Commentary
MVM106: Student Print Strategy  
MVM125: Connectivity - Off-campus 2017/18 To be started in March/April 2018
MVM126: Upgrading of student computer labs 2017/18 To be started in March/April 2018

Section Three: Projects in Progress

MVM Learning and Teaching Projects Update

MVM105: Strategy for the upgrade of our teaching spaces (annual) - RAG Status: AMBER

Report by Alan Gilchrist

Achievements this period

  • Nothing new to report due to other priorities this month.

Next Steps

  • Arrange an afternoon to go out to the Vet School lecture theatres to investigate the presenter mode issue.
  • Arrange a suitable time to install a presenter mode screen in the Vet School G.01 room.
  • Arrange a suitable time to complete the installation of equipment in the Hugh Robson PG Viva room and make it available on the room booking system.

MVM112: Technology to support simulation teaching - RAG Status: GREEN

Report by Alan Gilchrist

Achievements this period

  • The meeting with the database owners and Data Protection Officer took place on 12th February and everyone was happy with the amount of work that would be required of them. 

Issues

  • There is a slight concern that a few of the existing EPPSAT participants could be put off if they receive a new consent form.
  • The 'Harvey' cardiology teaching manikin in the Western General Hospital Medical Education Centre (WGH MEC) has experienced a major fault which may not be fixable.  A replacement may need to be procured ahead of the WGH MEC refurbishment.

Next Steps

  • Database owners to send their current consent forms to the Data Protection Officer for review.
  • New consent forms to be created if required and then sent out to all participants of the programmes (EPPSAT and Simulated Patients).
  • A new Simulated Patient database will be created, providing increased security and functionality.
  • Review the fault with the 'Harvey' manikin and either temporarily fix or bring forward the procurement of a replacement.
  • Create an initial draft report outlining the University’s simulation equipment currently available within the Chancellor’s Building Clinical Skills Centre and WGH MEC.  Include proposed maintenance costs, annual recurring costs and replacement cycles.

MVM115: Technology to support TransNational Education (TNE) - RAG Status:  GREEN

Report by Paul De'Ath
Achievements
  • A permanent fix has been identified though it's deployment has been delayed, there is no additional risk to the service nor the project

Issues

  • No new risks

Next Steps

  • Track the fix and then close the project

MVM118: Deployment of FRY-IT Practique for MBChB - RAG Status: GREEN

Report by Paul De'Ath
Achievements
  • MBChB continue to fully utilise Practique with Year 6 exams being run in February
  • Project and Fry-IT meetings are progressing high level plans for OSCE
  • Project team visited the Western to see an OSCE taking place

Issues

  • No new risks identified

Next Steps

  • Continue to develop the delivery plans for OSCE's in the 2018-19 academic year
  • Support the training programme to be deployed in March
  • Attend our first Practique User Group in London at Imperial college in March

MVM121: Reporting of Assessment Outcomes for External Bodies - RAG Status: AMBER

Report by Nick Graham

Achievements this period

  • Proposal for development project in review.     

Issues

  • Issue - project closure is awaiting stakeholder agreement to development project proposal.

Next Steps

  • Agreement to development project proposal.
  • Sign off of project delivery.   
  • Closure of project.    

MVM124: WAM pilot for Biomedical Sciences - options review - RAG Status: AMBER

Report by Geoff Cropley

Achievements this period

  • BMS WAMS roll-out plan is now incorporated into CAHSS WAMS deployment plan, see new project HSS022 being initiated.
  • Meeting to review the prerequisite steps to get Biomedical Sciences (BMS) onto the CAHSS installation and onto the CAHSS WAMS Deployment project HSS022 was held 
  • Cross College funding arrangements to be approved following BMS project approvals.  

Next steps

  • Close Project

MVM127: Upgrading of teaching spaces 2017/18 - RAG Status: AMBER

Report by Alan Gilchrist

Achievements this period

  • The list of rooms for upgrade this year was agreed before Christmas, after receiving input from staff in both the Medical and Veterinary Schools.
  • The tender responses have been received from the AV suppliers for the upgrade of the 6 seminar rooms in the Chancellor's Building.
  • Some of the costs associated with fabric upgrades and furniture replacements have been received for the 6 seminar rooms in the Chancellor's Building.
  • The design of the new equipment for the Vet School rooms is ongoing and tender documents will be created in due course.
  • The replacement AV cabinets for the Kennedy Tower and WGH D25 have been procured and are in the process of being built by the manufacturer.

Issues

  • There is no known timeline set for the appointment of the building contractors for the WGH MEC refurbishment, which means that the first phases of this programme of works, which was originally scheduled for summer 2018 may not be possible.
  • There is uncertainty regarding the possible funding of the fabric upgrade and furniture replacement in WGH D25.
  • Some of the £500K budget needs to be used for non-AV upgrades this year (especially in the Chancellor's Building) which means the number of rooms for upgrade across the College had to be reduced this year.

Next Steps

  • Organise the refurbishment and AV upgrade timelines for the 6 seminar rooms in the Chancellor's Building.
  • Finalise designs of the Vet School rooms and create the tender documentation.
  • Meet with estates project manager of the WGH MEC refurbishment to confirm possibility of any work taking place during summer 2018.  If the work isn't possible, sort out a contingency plan for the funding associated with the work, so that it isn't lost.

MVM Portfolio Projects Update

MVM522: MVM Business Process Review for SharePoint Delivery - RAG Status: GREEN

Report by Paul De'Ath

Achievements

  • Working group met and approved their ToR, user story process flow and acknowledged the meeting planned with the business sponsor

Issues

  • No new risks identified

 

Next Steps

  • Scheduled meeting with the Business Sponsor seeking agreement for the next phase of execution work
  • Create and approve the project brief
  • Working Group to commence review of user stories

Projects outwith the MVM Portfolio Update

Report by Alan Gilchrist and Anne-Marie Scott (LTW):

P0267: The EEMeC Administration Migration Project - RAG Status: GREEN

A number of issues related to content within the VLE have been identified post-migration. A report has been provided to the Programme Director, Head of School and College Registrar summarising the issues.

Given the GMC visit in early November, additional resource has been made available to the College. Staff from LTW are spending time based in Little France and are offering one-to-one sessions with academic colleagues to check links, tidy formatting and other changes as required. 16 sessions have been booked.

Discussions with Library and University Collections colleagues have agreed how best to manage Leganto Resources Lists for the MBChB. First content has been added to the Knowledge Hub site.

P0264: The eeSurg VLE Migration Project - RAG Status: GREEN

Knowledge base main pages now migrated and with academic team for checking. Knowledge base 140 'orphan' pages identified and ESSQ team have confirmed which pages to be migrated.

Course prototype reviewed by Project Board 28 Aug. Second prototype (Academic Surgery) populated. Reviewed and signed off at Programme Board on 06 November. Focus is now on gathering content to be migrated via Word documents. Content will be added to Learn as web content. Academic team raised the potential for additional support in their team required during this process. Will monitor and flag if it becomes an issue. Academic team to discuss with College Office process around issuing tutors with EASE credentials for access to the VLE.

DTP001: Apps to User Devices - RAG Status: AMBER

A major impact has been that due to the deployment of Windows 10 being postponed from start of term (DTP008/13), key desktop colleague Mark Wiseman is now required to help with preparing Windows 7 for extended use in 2017/18, which will keep him off the project until end of 2017.

Meantime, the high level design for the new solution to replace Atlantis has been approved, and a workshop was held to kick off the low level design so that the VSAN build can be done before end of 2017.

MLE003: Lecture Recording Implementation - RAG Status: CLOSED

The first phase launch of Media Hopper Replay is complete and the project will be moving to closure. 138 rooms were equipped for September 2017 and a number of CMVM rooms were prioritised during the rollout.  Use in Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences is increasing. The School of Medicine were not historic users of the previous service and the second phase of the project will be focussed on supported expanded use in such Schools. There are some particular challenges in the School related to confidential content and the level of access in Learn which will be the focus of the next phase in terms of support.

MVM123: Vet School Timetabling and Room Booking Migration - RAG Status: GREEN

Successful start of term for UG using central timetabling and room booking, including personalised timetables. Lessons learned from Semester 1 to be discussed and planning for Semester 2 to begin.

MVM114: Edinburgh Medical School Review of Support for Timetabling and Room Booking - RAG Status: GREEN

Review of initial stakeholder engagement carried out by Business Analyst. Updated draft report format prepared. Initial interviews to be completed along with requirements definition and gap analysis. Draft report to be prepared (Note: this is project is a separate agenda item at CULT for 9 November meeting).

HSS020: CAHSS WAM Extended Pilot - RAG Status: GREEN

Project Board will meet on the 25 January 2018 to decide on the success of the pilot and whether to deploy WAM to the reaming schools in CAHSS.

Other Updates

ISG Innovation fund

Project funding allocations have been made and decisions are being communicated. A list should be available for future meetings.

TEL049: VLE Minimum Standards - RAG Status: RED

Paper has been sent to Senate LTC 15 November meeting outlining the scope of the project. Project manager has been assigned and project brief will be available on Projects website shortly. This will be a multi-year project.

Section Four: Closed or Withdrawn Projects

Project Info Project Manager's Commentary
MVM119: Data Creation and Migration into Practique for MBChB  This project started in April 2017. The project was closed on 17 November 2017. The Completion Report is now available.
MVM117: Virtual Desktop and software access This project was withdrawn on 31 October 2017. This work is covered in DTP001 Apps to User Devices.

MVM122: Biomedical Sciences submission word count facility

This project started in March 2017 and was closed on 31 October 2017.

MVM111: Technology to support short-notice communications to students

This project started in January 2017 and was closed on 31 October 2017.
MVM101: Connectivity - on-campus and off-campus This project started in October 2016 and was closed on 31 October 2017.

MVM107: Procurement of an online application to support assessment and feedback for MBChB

This project started in October 2016. This project was closed on 29 August 2017. The Completion Report is now available.

MVM104: trategy for the upgrade of our computer labs (annual)

This project started in March 2017 and was closed on 30 August 2017.

Section Five: Programme Meeting Minutes

Date Comments
26 February 2018 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - February 2018
26 January 2018 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - January 2018
4 December 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - December 2017
4 November 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - November 2017
30 October 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - October 2017
29 September 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - September 2017
25 August 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - August 2017

Programme Info

Documentation

Not available.