Report for June 2018

Report Date
June 2018

 

Report by Muriel Mewissen on behalf of Alan Gilchrist (MVMLAT Programme Managers) for Sheila Fraser (MVM Portfolio Manager) and Catherine Elliot (MVM Portfolio Owner)

 

Distribution:
  • Vet and Medical School sub-group IT meeting
  • College Administration Team (CAT) meeting
  • College Undergraduate Learning and Teaching (CULT) committee
  • Post Graduate Learning and Teaching (PGLTC) committee
  • Excerpts taken into CSG report

 

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Commentary

During June, another project was successfully completed, the tenth this year in this programme:

A new project was started, and continue the ongoing work to develop the use of Practique to support online assessment within MVM:

All projects are GREEN, except for MVM105: Strategy for the upgrade of our teaching spaces (annual) which has a AMBER status due to ongoing concerns over the short time frame for the upgrade to take place over the summer.

The overall status of the MVMLAT programme is GREEN.

Please note that the project RAG status is following the revised guidelines: A one-page summary of the IS RAG status indicators is available on this page.

 

Forward Look - June 2018

 

Section Two: Projects Not Started

Three new projects are expected to start in 2017/18.

Project Programme Manager's Commentary
MVM106: Student Print Strategy To be started next session
MVM125: Connectivity - Off-campus 2017/18 To be started in 2018
MVM126: Upgrading of student computer labs 2017/18 To be started in 2018

Section Three: Projects in Progress

MVM Learning and Teaching Projects Update

MVM105: Strategy for the upgrade of our teaching spaces (annual) - RAG Status: AMBER

Report by Alan Gilchrist

Achievements this period

  • SMART podiums have been ordered to replace the Sharp touch screens in the Vet rooms.  Extended desktop settings will be applied when the podiums are installed.
  • A meeting with estates and Ken O'Neill scheduled for Thursday 12th July.
  • Arrangements to complete the replacement of AV kit in the Hugh Robson room are being organised by Peter Crooks.

Issues

Next Steps

  • Apply extended desktop fix in the Vet School when new podiums arrive.
  • Complete the replacement of AV kit in the Hugh Robson Building during early to mid-July.

 

MVM112: Technology to support simulation teaching - RAG Status: GREEN

Report by Alan Gilchrist

Achievements this period

  • Nothing due to other project priorities

Issues

Next Steps

  • A new Simulated Patient database will be created, providing increased security and functionality.
  • Create an initial draft report outlining the University’s simulation equipment currently available within the Chancellor’s Building Clinical Skills Centre and WGH MEC.  Include proposed maintenance costs, annual recurring costs and replacement cycles.
  • Ensure PIAs are completed for the two database systems.

MVM118: Deployment of FRY-IT Practique for MBChB - RAG Status: CLOSED

Report by Paul De'Ath
Achievements this period
  • Close report approved
  • Closure Report approved on June 15
  • Project Closed

 

MVM121: Reporting of Assessment Outcomes for External Bodies - RAG Status: SUSPENDED

Report by Muriel Mewissen

Achievements this period

  • None, project is currently suspended

Next Steps

  • Status to be reviewed in August

MVM127: Upgrading of teaching spaces 2017/18 - RAG Status: GREEN

Report by Alan Gilchrist

Achievements this period

  • All 6 seminar rooms in the Chancellor's Building have been upgraded with new AV, fabric and furniture.
  • Work has been ongoing with the upgrades of the 3 Vet School teaching rooms.
  • The new AV desks for WGH D25 and the Kennedy Tower DLT have been delivered.

Issues

  • There are still concerns that one or more of the seminar rooms in the Chancellor's Building could be repurposed after the upgrades have taken place (no timescale has been given yet) which would lead to a reduction in teaching space and discussions about reimbursement of funds.
  • Still waiting for confirmation of resolution for 4K projection issue in Chancellor's Building lecture theatre A.
  • The upgrade work for the 3 Vet School rooms has been taking longer than originally planned (currently into week 3).
  • A temporary teaching desk had to be installed into one of the Chancellor's Building seminar rooms due to stock availability and room usage.

Next Steps

  • Transfer AV equipment from temporary desk in WGH D25 to new teaching desk.
  • Transfer AV equipment from current teaching desk to new teaching dek in DLT Kennedy Tower.
  • New AV kit to be moved from temporary desk in Chancellor's Building seminar room 4 into new teaching desk.
  • AV contractor to complete work in the Vet School teaching rooms.  Propose a meeting with AV contractor and LST to discuss the issues around the amount of time it has been taking to complete the work.

MVM129 Support for OSCEs in Practique for MBChB - RAG Status: GREEN

Report by Paul De'Ath
Achievements
  • Commenced project brief
  • Tested V5.4 of Practique on staging - signed off
  • Prepared for July 10 training session - contract amendment ready, iPads built and charged

Issues

  • New risks being identified

Next Steps

  • Deliver Project brief to approvers and then onto WIS
  • Test V5.4 on Live
  • Host OSCE training session with Fry-IT and core project team

MVM Portfolio Projects Update

MVM522: MVM Business Process Review for SharePoint Delivery - RAG Status: RED

Report by Paul De'Ath

Achievements

  • Micro groups are focusing on:- 1) induction process  2) taxonomy, site permissions 3) criteria to identify content to migrate but only progressing item 1
  • An initial IT process workflow was captured , business process flow delayed until July
  • Continue to meet Service Excellence around core HR requirements
  • Approval from MVM HR to progress item 1 (induction material)
  • Presented high level options to manage SharePoint issue

Issues

  • One new risk identified and one risk became an issue
  • Closure milestone and internal project milestones moved to next academic year, budget in place

Next Steps

  • Meet SharePoint external suppliers
  • Present an options paper on how to best proceed
  • Progress the work on the induction material

Projects outwith the MVM Portfolio Update

Report by Alan Gilchrist and Anne-Marie Scott (LTW):

P0267: The EEMeC Administration Migration Project - RAG Status: GREEN

A number of issues related to content within the VLE have been identified post-migration. A report has been provided to the Programme Director, Head of School and College Registrar summarising the issues.

Given the GMC visit in early November, additional resource has been made available to the College. Staff from LTW are spending time based in Little France and are offering one-to-one sessions with academic colleagues to check links, tidy formatting and other changes as required. 16 sessions have been booked.

Discussions with Library and University Collections colleagues have agreed how best to manage Leganto Resources Lists for the MBChB. First content has been added to the Knowledge Hub site.

P0264: The eeSurg VLE Migration Project - RAG Status: GREEN

Knowledge base main pages now migrated and with academic team for checking. Knowledge base 140 'orphan' pages identified and ESSQ team have confirmed which pages to be migrated.

Course prototype reviewed by Project Board 28 Aug. Second prototype (Academic Surgery) populated. Reviewed and signed off at Programme Board on 06 November. Focus is now on gathering content to be migrated via Word documents. Content will be added to Learn as web content. Academic team raised the potential for additional support in their team required during this process. Will monitor and flag if it becomes an issue. Academic team to discuss with College Office process around issuing tutors with EASE credentials for access to the VLE.

DTP001: Apps to User Devices - RAG Status: AMBER

A major impact has been that due to the deployment of Windows 10 being postponed from start of term (DTP008/13), key desktop colleague Mark Wiseman is now required to help with preparing Windows 7 for extended use in 2017/18, which will keep him off the project until end of 2017.

Meantime, the high level design for the new solution to replace Atlantis has been approved, and a workshop was held to kick off the low level design so that the VSAN build can be done before end of 2017.

MLE003: Lecture Recording Implementation - RAG Status: CLOSED

The first phase launch of Media Hopper Replay is complete and the project will be moving to closure. 138 rooms were equipped for September 2017 and a number of CMVM rooms were prioritised during the rollout.  Use in Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences is increasing. The School of Medicine were not historic users of the previous service and the second phase of the project will be focussed on supported expanded use in such Schools. There are some particular challenges in the School related to confidential content and the level of access in Learn which will be the focus of the next phase in terms of support.

MVM123: Vet School Timetabling and Room Booking Migration - RAG Status: GREEN

Successful start of term for UG using central timetabling and room booking, including personalised timetables. Lessons learned from Semester 1 to be discussed and planning for Semester 2 to begin.

MVM114: Edinburgh Medical School Review of Support for Timetabling and Room Booking - RAG Status: CLOSED

Project closed on 23 March 2018. A report detailing business requirements, options, benefits, constraints and a recommendation for the future provision of support for timetabling and room booking within Edinburgh Medical School  has been produced. The Completion Report is available. 

MVM128: Edinburgh Medical School Timetabling and Room Booking Migration - RAG Status: GREEN

 

HSS020: CAHSS WAM Extended Pilot - RAG Status: GREEN

  • The Simitive project to extend the pilot to the additional subjects; Classics, Archaeology, Philosophy and Language Sciences is complete.
  • Moray House remaining institutes are on track for delivery during May
  • Evaluation completion dates have been received for the pilot schools and when the dates are met the project will be closed (August 2018).

HSS022: CAHSS WAM Deployment  - RAG Status: GREEN

  • Commercial discussion are ongoing for the opt-in schools and expected to complete mid May 2018.
  • New schools have been prepared to accelerate use of the new system and schools framework gap analysis is underway.
  • Vendor support has been arranged to support existing and new on-board schools.  
  • A user forum has been established and the first meeting has convened with very positive outcomes.

Other Updates

ISG Innovation fund

Project funding allocations have been made and decisions are being communicated. A list should be available for future meetings.

TEL049: VLE Minimum Standards - RAG Status: RED

Paper has been sent to Senate LTC 15 November meeting outlining the scope of the project. Project manager has been assigned and project brief will be available on Projects website shortly. This will be a multi-year project.

Section Four: Closed or Withdrawn Projects

Project Info Project Manager's Commentary
MVM118: Deployment of FRY-IT Practique for MBChB This project started in May 2017. The project was closed on 15 June 2018. The Completion Report is now available.
MVM115: Technology to support TransNational Education (TNE) This project started in January 2017. The project was closed on 1 June 2018. The Completion Report is now available.
MVM124: WAM pilot for Biomedical Sciences - options review This project started in December 2017. The project was closed on 23 March 2018. The Completion Report is now available.
MVM117: Virtual Desktop and software access This project was withdrawn on 31 October 2017. This work is covered in DTP001 Apps to User Devices.
MVM119: Data Creation and Migration into Practique for MBChB  This project started in April 2017. The project was closed on 17 November 2017. The Completion Report is now available.

MVM122: Biomedical Sciences submission word count facility

This project started in March 2017 and was closed on 31 October 2017.

MVM111: Technology to support short-notice communications to students

This project started in January 2017 and was closed on 31 October 2017.
MVM101: Connectivity - on-campus and off-campus This project started in October 2016 and was closed on 31 October 2017.

MVM107: Procurement of an online application to support assessment and feedback for MBChB

This project started in October 2016. This project was closed on 29 August 2017. The Completion Report is now available.

MVM104: trategy for the upgrade of our computer labs (annual)

This project started in March 2017 and was closed on 30 August 2017.

Section Five: Programme Meeting Minutes

Date Comments
31 May 2018 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - May 2018
27 April 2018 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - April 2018
26 February 2018 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - February 2018
26 January 2018 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - January 2018
4 December 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - December 2017
4 November 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - November 2017
30 October 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - October 2017
29 September 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - September 2017
25 August 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - August 2017

Programme Info

Documentation

Not available.