Report for November 2016

Report Date
November 2016
Report by Muriel Mewissen on behalf of Alan Gilchrist (MVMLAT Programme Managers)
for Sheila Lodge (MVMLAT Portfolio Owner)
and Paul Clark (MVM Portfolio Manager) and Catherine Elliot (MVM Portfolio Owner)

 

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Commentary:

Two projects have started this month:

The procurement of online examination software is the top priority for this programme and the CMVM portfolio. Improving the students experience is a priority for CMVM, and assessment and feedback have been noted as the principal area for improvement.

The overall status of the MVM Learning and Teaching programme is GREEN. Please note that the project RAG status is following the revised guidelines: A one-page summary of the IS RAG status indicators is available on this page.

 

Resources to end November 2016

 

Forward Look - November 2016

 

Section Two: Projects Not Started

Another 15 projects may start later this year, these are:

Project Info Programme Manager's Commentary

MVM102 Innovative Technology Review

 TBC

MVM103 Mobile Device Management

 TBC

MVM104 Strategy for the upgrade of our computer labs (annual)

 TBC
MVM106 Student Print Strategy

 TBC

MVM108 Technology to support Attendance and Monitoring

TBC

MVM109 Technology to support communications with potential students

 TBC

MVM110 Technology to support Open Educational Resources (OER)

 TBC

MVM111 Technology to support short-notice communications to students

TBC

MVM112 Technology to support simulation teaching

 TBC

MVM113 Technology to support student portfolios

 TBC

MVM114 Technology to timetabling and room booking

 TBC

MVM115 Technology to support TransNational Education (TNE)

To start in Jan 2017
MVM116 Video Strategy

 TBC

MVM117 Virtual Desktop and software access

 TBC

MVM120 Windows 10 rollout to computer labs

 TBC

 

Section Three: Projects in Progress

 

Project Info Project Managers Commentary

MVM032:

Speedwell Service Implementation

Category: Discretionary

Milestones

14-Dec-2016  Delivery
12-Jan-2017  Deployment Review
19-Jan-2017  Closure

 

RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Tim Gray for November 2016

Achievements this period

Issues

  • No issues to report

Next Steps

  • Deploy to LIVE on Wednesday 07/12/16
  • Finalise and sign off OLA
  • Draft completion report

MVM101:

Connectivity - on-campus and off-campus

 

 

Category: Discretionary

Milestones

14-Jul-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Alan Gilchrist for November 2016

Achievements:
  • Meeting with NHS Lanarkshire IT and clinicians took place on 9th November and agreement was made to attempt installation of Eduroam onto their infrastructure before the Christmas holidays.  This would mean we could advertise the new facility at the start of the new year.
  • Eduroam consultant will be funded by MVMLAT programme funds and estimated at 3 days.  Conference call to be set up before the end of November between NHS IT, Eduroam consultant and MVM IT to agree specifics of work and timescales.
Issues:
  • Problem with Eduroam connection in Sick Kids was reported by students and investigated by MVM IT team.  After several discussions with NHS Lothian IT, fault was found to be caused by their proxy server.  We have been informed that this is due for replacement some time this year, however Alan Gilchrist will discuss issue with NHS IT management to see if this replacement can be initiated sooner.
Next Steps:
  • Meeting request between MVM IT and NHS Forth Valley being sent out to reopen discussions of Eduroam installation on their infrastructure.

MVM105:

Strategy for upgrade of our teaching spaces (annual)

 

Category Discretionary

Milestones

30-Jun-17 Closure

RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Alan Gilchrist for November 2016

Meetings have now taken place at the Vet School and the Central area where the following decisions have been made:

Vet School:

  • SMART interactivity still a requirement in all rooms within the New Vet School building.
  • White boards and therefore dual projection still required in G.01 and both lecture theatres.
  • SMART boards to be removed in G.02, G.02A, G.03 and G.03A and replaced with larger LED screens positioned higher on the wall.  SMART podiums will be installed on the presentation desk.
  • Presentation mode required on the local PC, so solution needs to be identified (might be dual output graphics cards).
  • SMART interactivity not a requirement in room GB.26.

Eddy O’Hare is currently working on the installation designs for the rooms, so that tender can go out before Christmas.  Installation dates currently being looked at are during Easter and Summer 2017

Central Area:

  • Kennedy Tower rooms will have large interactive LED screens installed.
  • Full fabric and furniture upgrade in both rooms (moving to chairs with tablets could be an option).
  • New door or window cut into existing door on 1st floor seminar room is a requirement.
  • PG viva room still to be identified.  Has been raised with Julia Laidlaw.
  • New white boards for the Greenfield Suite side rooms have been identified, quote has been supplied and installation will take place during December.

Update on Chancellor’s Building rooms:

  • Room SU209 has been identified as the new PG viva room, although must remain as a dual-purpose room (also video creation suite).  Solution to be identified, but currently considering free standing floor to ceiling partition to separate the two purposes.
  • Question raised as to whether Undergraduate Medical Teaching room could be changed from long thin single projection room to short wide dual projection room to allow more flexibility.  Currently looking at funding.
  • Furniture office and Estates have been to see the microlabs and are considering options to allow more flexibility in room usage (teaching labs as well as meeting space).

Meeting with Panasonic rep organised by Eddie O’Hare where discussion took place regarding projector options for Vet School rooms and Chancellor’s Building lecture theatre A.  Have been advised that laser projection and 3D does not work well, so likely that 3D will not be installed in the Chancellor’s Building.  Have been trying to get some additional information from Olympus regarding their installation in the RIE surgical theatre.

Quote has been received for the SMOTS installation in the Western General Hospital and decision will be to install SMOTS facilities in the 5 MEC seminar rooms as well as the rack mounted SMOTS recorder (will be requesting this be installed in the MEC switch room).

MVM107:

Procurement of an online application to support assessment and feedback for MBChB

Category: Discretionary

Milestones

23-Dec-16 Project Brief
30-Jun-17 Delivery
1-Sep-17 Closure

RAG Status

GREEN

 

 

Report by Paul De'Ath for November 2016

Achievements this period

  • The tender documents are being produced, including the initial draft of the requirements.
  • The PIN (Prior of Information Notice) was published on Friday November 25th.
  • Various meetings held with the Head of IT, MVM (Paul Clark) and Procurement (Laura Harkins) to introduce Paul.
  • New PM (Paul De’Ath) joined the University on Monday November 21st.

Issues

  • No issues to report

Next Steps

  • Continue to develop the documents for the Tender with Procurement.
  • Scheduled a meeting with Neil Mccormick, Alan Gilchrist and David Kluth to review the draft requirements and agree a schedule for approval.

  • Complete the Project Brief by December 16th.

 

Section Four: Closed or Withdrawn Projects

Project Info Project Manager's Commentary
MVM024 Integration and adoption of ISFM This is a 15/16 project, potentially continuing in 16/17. This project was suspended in May 2016.

 

Programme Info

Documentation

Not available.