Report for September 2017

Report Date
September 2017
Report by Muriel Mewissen on behalf of David Perry and Anthony Davie (MVMRes Programme Managers)                             
for Charles ffrench-Constant and Paul McGuire (MVMRes Programme Owners)
and Paul Clark (MVM Portfolio Manager) and Catherine Elliot (MVM Portfolio Owner)

 

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Commentary:

During September, good progress has been made in MVM315 REACH which is on target to deliver its deployment to LIVE environment in early October. Other projects have suffers further delay this month, either in completing planning or closure reports. This leads to six project having an AMBER status:

Delay in planning Delay in closure

The overall status of the MVMRes programme is AMBER.

Please note that the project RAG status is following the revised guidelines: A one-page summary of the IS RAG status indicators is available on this page.

Forward Look - September 2017

 

Section Two: Projects Not Started

No additional projects are expected to start in 2017/18 at present.

 

Section Three: Projects in Progress

Project Info Project Managers Commentary

MVM301:

College Software as a Service (SaaS) Strategy

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Sep-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

GREEN

Report by David Perry for September 2017

Achievements

  • Built a RedCap (Clinical Trial Database Toolkit) system for Reproductive Health
  • Rstudio Server Pro has been relicensed for the 2017-2018 academic year; software updates have been applied to the core version
  • NESSUS / OpenVAS security review of services has been undertaken with remedial work addressed
  • VoiceBank server working well
  • Final report started

Issues

  • OMERO image management system was not developed as the pilot project (Comparative Pathology) did not receive funding.

Next Steps

  • Review configuration of VoiceBank server to potentially be more elastic and not have all aspects of the system stack 'always on'; will help reduce CPU/Hour costs.
  • Write up of main report and RStudio case study complete; require details of the VoiceBank case study; to be concluded in October.

MVM302:

Compute and High Performance Compute Strategy

 

 

Category: Discretionary

Milestones

Target Date Title
31-Dec-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Anthony Davie for September 2017

Achievements

  • no new since Aug '17.

Issues

  • Programme Business Owner still to score priority for MVM302 in Research business context.
  • Feedback on re-drafted request for project template outstanding from Portfolio Manager and Programme Business Owner for MVMRES
  • Delays from EB (IS) stakeholder (IT Programme Manager) in moving brief to 1st draft.

Next Steps

  • Assuming this project is approved, progress review of initial draft of project brief.
  • PM to engage with potential project stakeholders and circulate draft project brief
  • PM to arrange initial stakeholder meeting, with view to sign-off project brief and initiate project.

 

MVM304:

Electronic Lab Notebook

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Sep-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

 

Report by David Perry for September 2017

Achievements

  • Noor Gammoh is keen to expand their use of the ELN by adding more team members.
  • Final Report underway

Issues

  • Understanding the support model for this service; recent support requests have not been addressed in a timely fashion.
  • Within IGMM (MVM) there is also a parallel effort to digitise paper lab notebooks and then host the .pdf version online.

Next Steps

  • Continue with final report for the project.

MVM305

Flexible Server hosting 

Category: Discretionary

Target Date Title
31-Mar-18 Closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Anthony Davie for September 2017

Achievements

  • No new achievements since July/Aug '17.
  • Preliminary discussions held with MVM research Institute re flexible server hosting requirements, existing services and research strategy going forward. This will be folded into relevant input to brief.
  • Some continued delays (through Aug and early Sept '17) to Research Services infrastructure refreshes (Datastore refactor, expansion and backup expansion) pushing back start time for preliminary discussions.
  • PM continuing to work on first draft of project brief.

Issues

  • None

Next Steps

  • PM to complete 1st draft of project brief.

  • PM to engage with potential project stakeholders and circulate draft project brief.

  • PM to arrange initial stakeholder meeting, with view to sign-off project brief and initiate project.

MVM306

Network IT improvements

Category: Discretionary

 

Target Date Title
31-Dec-17 Closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Anthony Davie for September 2017

Achievements

  • Review and discussion of project brief and associated documentation with Anthony Davie
  • Agreement to make amendments to the project brief, scope and work packages
  • The virtual network team is viewed as a vital part of this project and the College IT infrastructure strategy

Issues

  • Delay in arranging meeting with ITI Communications Infrastructure Section (CIS), David Graham due to their hectic schedule dealing with network procurement policy

Next Steps

  • Set up a meeting with IS MVM Campus leaders and David Graham ITI CIS
  • Discuss the creation of a virtual networking team covering CMVM
  • Get formalised agreement with ITI CIS on the membership, role descriptions and responsibilities of this virtual team

MVM308

Research computing induction

Category: Discretionary

 

Target Date Title
31-Jul-18 Closure
 
RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Anthony Davie for September 2017

Achievements

  • No new since May through Aug '17.

Issues

  • Continued resourcing issues for identifying PM.
  • Ongoing challenges with resourcing PM for project, with primary focus from campus resource limited by high levels of on-going business workload.

Next Steps

  • Assign project manager and move towards project briefing.

 

MVM310:

Information Governance Standards

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Sep-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by David Perry for September 2017

Achievements

  • None

Issues

  • None

Next Steps

  • Continue engagement with RSS016 for a real world example from the College
  • Write up final project report during September 2017

 

MVM312:

Walled Garden Pathfinder

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Sep-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by David Perry for September 2017

Achievements

  • Work continues on the processes to automatically ingest data generated on laboratory devices that exist outwith the Walled Garden.

  • Helped CJD with their annual governance review with HSCIC / Information Governance.

Issues

  • None

Next Steps

  • Complete process for automated data ingest; ensure that this process will be applicable for the new Data Safe Haven too.
  • Migrate more project data folders from the old CJD system in to the new Walled Garden. 
  • This project report writing has slipped due to new the above activity and will conclude in October 2017.

MVM314:

SEBI - Data Collection and Modelling

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
27-Oct-2017 Deliver Community of Practice Data Platform (SEBI-2)
10-Nov-2017 Livestock interventions data platform (SEBI-1)
22-Dec-2017 Data Transformation workflows
26-Jan-2018 Agree long term support arrangements
28-Feb-2018 Closure
 
RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Colin Watt for September 2017

Achievements in Last Period

  • PM introduced Livestock Data Analyst to the UoE Scholarly Communications Manager  to discuss existing metadata schemas  and to tap into networking in the scholarly community for potential collaboration on this.
  • A separate strand of work within SEBI is working on a partnership in Ethiopia and this is likely to provide data sets on livestock and interventions.
  • PM waiting for steer on revised prioties for SEBI following team changes. A reshaping of the milestones is now in progress but due to resource conflicts / SEBI team availability this has not yet been approved; milestones currently provisional.

Issues

  • No major issues, though ongoing discussion (SEBI Programme Managers, partners and .BMGF) have resulted in delays to defining some of the technical deliverables for each of the SEBI 1 and SEBI 2 strands.
  • Delivery of COP data platform unlikely to be delivered this quarter and will need to be replanned.

Next Steps

  • Define and agree scope changes with project team and sponsor for delivery of metadata and livestock datasets platforms.
  • Review budget and resourcing for potential strand of work with Ethiopia
  • datasets.

 

Current RAG status is AMBER due to the original technical deliverables being pushed back and changes in the SEBI team. PM to propose that this project suspended until clearer requirement for IS Apps involvement.

MVM315

REACH

Category: Discretionary (Sponsor Funded - Usher Institute)

 

Milestones

Target Date Title
25-Oct-2017 Release 2b: Data exports - Build complete
26-Oct-2017 Release 1/2a - Deployment Review / Wash-up meeting
31-Oct-2017 Agree OLA between Usher Institute, LTW WGI team , IS ADO Service Management and IS ADO Dev services
17-Nov-2017 Release 3 : Project workflows - Analysis complete ( Scope TBC)
26-Jan-2018 Project closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Jamie Thin for September 2017 ( to 5-Oct)

Achievements

Web front-end

  • TEST env refreshed from LIVE
  • Dry run deployment completed in TEST
  • Step-by-step deployment to LIVE completed on morning of 03-Oct - new REACH pages and Register with Reach web form available in LIVE
  • Issue where header menu obscured content in mobile version has been resolved in LIVE
  • LIVE deployment signed-off by business users - marketing campaign to launch the new REACH service triggered on Thursday 5-Oct

Back-end integration

  • new DEV / TEST / LIVE back-end services deployed to shared Python servers
  • Integration testing completed as each of DEV , TEST and LIVE re-pointed to new back-end

Phase 2b Release - Data Exports

  • SDS design signed off by business users in REACH with minimal changes
  • Development of Data Exports has started

Handover to Production Support

  • project team will support the LIVE site until handover to support is completed, target is to complete the handover to support with Release 2a 
  • Task to draft Operation Level Agreement (OLA) has started
  • Documentation for handover to production support team is being prepared by project team
  • Peter Jackson is updating the TAD and the SLSP documents

Issues / Decisions

  • Extra effort required by LTW WGI team to unpick some of the unconventional Drupal 8 configuration in LIVE and implement workarounds for the footer and header menu issues
  • Initial deployment to LIVE on Mon 2-Oct had to be backed out by reverting to a backup ( issue with header menu obscuring content on mobile devices)
  • Re-deploy to LIVE completed on Tues 3-Oct , after issue with header menu resolved
  • Marketing launch pushed back from Mon 2-Oct to Thursday 5-Oct
  • Agreed with Paul Clark and the REACH team that the System level Security Policy (SLSP) document for REACH can be re-drafted to match how the back-end database will be hosted , rather than how it was envisaged it might be hosted back in February
  • 'Encryption at Rest' not required, REACH will be hosted in a separate set of tables on the shared IS ADO Python, Django, MySQL infrastructure. There will be different user accounts / access points for the public-facing registration web form and the back-end data management tools
  • It does not look like the REACH use case has a good fit to the ‘safe haven’ model. This will be confirmed through further dialogue with the ITI Safe haven team

Next Steps 

  • Marketing launch of the new REACH service on Thurs 5th Oct
  • Formal launch event for the REACH service on Thurs 12th Oct
  • Wash up meeting / Go-Live deployment review on Thurs 25th Oct
  • Complete documentation and handover to support in line with delivery of Release Phase 2a
  • As part of the OLA agree responsibilities of each business-as-usual team , when the project completes and the project team stands down

 

Section Four: Closed or Withdrawn Projects

None yet this session

 

Section Five: Programme Meeting Minutes

Date Comments
28 September 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - September 2017
31 August 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - August 2017

 

 

Programme Info

Documentation

Not available.