Report for November 2017

Report Date
November 2017
Report by Muriel Mewissen on behalf of David Perry and Anthony Davie (MVMRes Programme Managers)                             
for Charles ffrench-Constant and Paul McGuire (MVMRes Programme Owners)
and Paul Clark (MVM Portfolio Manager) and Catherine Elliot (MVM Portfolio Owner)

 

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Commentary:

During November, the majority of the projects continue to be delayed either at the initiation/planning stage or at the closure stage because of a lack of availability of staff. Eight projects have a AMBER RAG status because of these delays:

Delay in planning Delay in closure

MVM314: SEBI - Data Collection and Modelling has been suspended until 2018 Q1 when a re-planning will take place to align with the research project.

The overall status of the MVMRes programme is AMBER .

Please note that the project RAG status is following the revised guidelines: A one-page summary of the IS RAG status indicators is available on this page.

 

Forward Look - November 2017

 

Section Two: Projects Not Started

No additional projects are expected to start in 2017/18 at present.

 

Section Three: Projects in Progress

Project Info Project Managers Commentary

MVM301:

College Software as a Servive (SaaS) Pathfinders

 

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Sep-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by David Perry for November 2017

 

  • No update

MVM302:

Compute and High Performance Compute Strategy

 

 

Category: Discretionary

Milestones

Target Date Title
31-Dec-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by for Anthony Davie for November 2017

 

Achievements

  • no new since Aug '17.

Issues

  • Programme Business Owner still to score priority for MVM302 in Research business context.
  • Feedback on re-drafted request for project template outstanding from Portfolio Manager and Programme Business Owner for MVMRES
  • Continued delays from EB (IS) stakeholder (IT Programme Manager), as result of campus IT matters, in moving brief to 1st draft.

Next Steps

  • IT Programmer Manager to meet with PM and get project moving.
  • Project has in principle been approved. PM to progress review of initial draft of project brief.
  • PM to engage with potential project stakeholders and circulate draft project brief
  • PM to arrange initial stakeholder meeting, with view to sign-off project brief and initiate project.

 

MVM304:

Electronic Lab Notebook

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Sep-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

 

Report by David Perry for November 2017

  • No update

MVM305

Flexible Server hosting 

Category: Discretionary

Target Date Title
31-Mar-18 Closure
 
RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Anthony Davie for November 2017

 

Achievements

  • Non recorded since Aug '17 report. 

Issues

  • PM has been delayed in completing first draft of project brief, due to resourcing challenges at campus level.

Next Steps

  • PM to complete 1st draft of project brief.

  • PM to engage with potential project stakeholders and circulate draft project brief.

  • PM to arrange initial stakeholder meeting, with view to sign-off project brief and initiate project.

MVM306

Network IT improvements

Category: Discretionary

 

Target Date Title
31-Dec-17 Closure
 
RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Anthony Davie for November 2017

 

Achievements

  • As part of normal ongoing business activities some switches are scheduled to be replaced at Easter Busch campus in December

Issues

  • Not received information from ITI Communications Infrastructure Section (CIS) in regards to their internal discussions covering the virtual network team, membership, roles and responsibilities. Meeting with Senior Management to take place to discuss this further

Next Steps

  • Meeting has been scheduled with Senior Management to agree on next steps and future phases of work
  • Review actions and outcomes of meeting and discuss project brief
  • Set up meeting to discuss possible changes to the project brief

MVM308

Research computing induction

Category: Discretionary

 

Target Date Title
31-Jul-18 Closure
 
RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Anthony Davie for November 2017

 

Achievements

  • No reported changes since May '17 report

Issues

  • Continued challenges with resourcing PM for project, with primary focus from campus resource limited by high levels of on-going business workload.

Next Steps

  • Assign project manager and move towards project briefing.

 

MVM310:

Information Governance Standards

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Sep-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by David Perry for November 2017

 

  • No update

 

MVM312:

Walled Garden Pathfinder

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Sep-17 Closure

 

RAG Status

AMBER

Report by David Perry for November 2017

 

  • No update

MVM314:

SEBI - Data Collection and Modelling

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
09-Feb-2018 Re-planning technical deliverables after project suspension
23-Mar-2018 Data Transformation workflows
27-Apr-2018 Deliver Community of Practice Data Platform (SEBI-2)
27-Apr-2018 Livestock interventions data platform (SEBI-1)
22-Jun-2018 Agree long term support arrangements
20-Jul-2018 Closure

 

RAG Status

BLUE

Report by Colin Watt for November 2017

 

  • Project currently suspended.

 

MVM315

REACH

Category: Discretionary (Sponsor Funded - AUKCAR , Usher Institute)

 

Milestones

Target Date Title
5-Dec 2017 Agree OLA between AUKCAR and IS ADO Production Management
18-Dec 2017 Release 2b - Data Exports - Deploy to LIVE
   
26-Jan-2018 Project closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Jamie Thin for November 2017

 

Achievements

Web front-end

  • DEV and TEST refreshed and Drupal Web form and 'uoe_reach' oAuth module successfully redeployed to DEV and TEST

Back-end integration

  •  LIVE and running as business-as-usual

Phase 2a Release - Data Exports

  • UAT complete - re-work with IS Apps
  • Deploy to LIVE targeted on Mon 18-Dec (subject to Go-Cab approval) 

Handover to Production Support​​​​​​​

  • Operation Level Agreement (OLA) - Ana Heyn  updated OLA based on feedback from the mtg on 26/10/17, and OLA now approved by Susan Buckingham
  • Documentation for handover to production support team is being prepared by project team
  • Peter Jackson has updated the  Technical Architecture Design (TAD) and the  Server level security policy ( SLSP)  documents

Issues

  • Re-deploy of Drupal Web form and 'uoe_reach' oAuth  custom module failed in LIVE - LTW need support from IS Apps
  • Change - Project Sponsor - Colin Simpson has left UoE, new Project Sponsor is Lynn Morrice, Research Manager, AUKCAR
  • Once handover to support is completed. LTW WGI and IS Apps Dev team won't provide any ongoing day-to-day support of the REACH website.
  • Support of Front-end website will pass to Susan Buckingham in Reach business team in the Usher institute.
  • Support of the custom oAuth drupal module and the Python / django / mysql stack will pass to IS Apps Production Management
  • As agreed with Paul Clark and the REACH team the System level Security Policy (SLSP) document for REACH has been re-drafted to match how the back-end database is  now hosted , rather than how it was envisaged it might be hosted earlier in the project ( back in Feb 17)
  • 'Encryption at Rest' not required, REACH will be hosted in a separate set of tables on the shared IS ADO Python, Django, MySQL infrastructure. There will be different user accounts / access points for the public-facing registration web form and the back-end data management tools
  • The REACH use case doesn't have a good fit to the ITI ‘safe haven’ model. The back-end  for REACH will have to stay on the shared Python / Django / MySQL IS Applications infrastructure going forward.
  • Budget - 16d for Web front end (LTW WGI team) and 90d for back-end integration and project management ( IS Apps). All 16d for LTW WGI have now been used and 3 days will be transferred from  IS Apps 90d budget to fund the extra work  to complete handover to support for Web front end.

Next Steps

  • Project team meeting on Tues 5-Dec to review UAT feedback from Data Exports UAT
  • LTW WGI team completes tidy up of DEV / TEST / LIVE web front end.
  • LTW WGI team resolves the 6 outstanding issues identified by Abby King and Susan Buckingham
  • Complete documentation and handover to support in line with delivery of Release Phase 2b - Data Exports
  • All parties agree the roles and responsibilities in the revised OLA
  • Agree on-going annual support budget with IS Apps production management - propose 6 days in year 1 ( half day a month) - this budget figure can be renewed annually and revised in line with actual spend

 

Section Four: Closed or Withdrawn Projects

None yet this session

 

Section Five: Programme Meeting Minutes

Date Comments
30 November 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - November 2017
30 October 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - October 2017
28 September 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - September 2017
31 August 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - August 2017

Programme Info

Documentation

Not available.