Report for January 2018

Report Date
January 2018
Report by Muriel Mewissen on behalf of David Perry and Anthony Davie (MVMRes Programme Managers)                             
for Charles ffrench-Constant and Paul McGuire (MVMRes Programme Owners)
and Catherine Elliot (MVM Portfolio Owner)

 

Section One: Programme Commentary, RAG and Resources Update

Commentary:

During January , a new project manage, Barry Horne, was assigned to two projects. These are now able to progress:

The closure milestones for the projects with a PM in MVM have been reviewed at the Programme Review Monthly Meeting - January 2018, and changed to reflect the workload and staff availability to complete these. This allows most projects to report a GREEN status this month.

MVM308: Research computing induction retains an AMBER status due to ongoing delays in identifying a PM to take this forward.

The overall status of the MVMRes programme is AMBER .

Please note that the project RAG status is following the revised guidelines: A one-page summary of the IS RAG status indicators is available on this page.

 

Forward Look - January 2018

Section Two: Projects Not Started

No additional projects are expected to start in 2017/18 at present.

 

Section Three: Projects in Progress

Project Info Project Managers Commentary

MVM301:

College Software as a Servive (SaaS) Pathfinders

 

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Mar-18 Closure

 

RAG Status

GREEN

Report by David Perry for January 2017

 

Achievements

  • Met with DRS to discuss how the operational controls on cost were implemented so that the 'bill payer' shouldn't get any surprises.
  • VoiceBank and RStudio Cluster VMs were health checked for scaling, performance and cost effectiveness
  • Final report being written
  • Agreement to move Closure to 31 Mar 2018

Issues

Next Steps

  • Finalise report.

MVM302:

Compute and High Performance Compute Strategy

 

 

Category: Discretionary

Milestones

Target Date Title
30-Mar-18 Closure

 

RAG Status

GREEN

Report by for Barry Horne for January 2017

 

Achievements

  • Meeting arranged to discuss project brief
  • Meeting being arranged (07/02/19) by PM for project kick-off, at Little France.
  • Project brief in first draft format.
  • Agreement to move Closure to 31 Mar 2018

Issues

  • Programme Business Owner still to score priority for MVM302 in Research business context.
  • Feedback on re-drafted request for project template outstanding from Portfolio Manager and Programme Business Owner for MVMRES
  • Continued delays from EB (IS) stakeholder (IT Programme Manager), as result of campus IT matters, in moving brief to 1st draft.

Next Steps

  • PM to circulate draft project brief (w/c 22/01/18) ahead of initial stakeholder meeting, with view to sign-off project brief and initiate project.
  • PM will use meeting to address outstanding issues.

 

MVM304:

Electronic Lab Notebook

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Mar-18 Closure

 

RAG Status

GREEN

 

Report by David Perry for January 2017

Achievements

  • Awaiting the review of a paper digitization project
  • Agreement to move Closure to 31 Mar 2018

Issues

  • None

Next Steps

  • Finalise report

MVM305

Flexible Server hosting 

Category: Discretionary

Target Date Title
30-Mar-18 Closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Barry Horne for January 2017

 

Achievements

  • PM discussed accelerating project and scoping work with CMVM Research IT lead.
  • PM has had some initial discussions with some technical stakeholders in ISG.
  • PM has started project brief.
  • Agreement to move Closure to 31 Mar 2018

Issues

  • None

Next Steps

  • PM to complete 1st draft of project brief.

  • PM to engage with potential project stakeholders and circulate draft project brief.

  • PM to arrange initial stakeholder meeting, with view to sign-off project brief and initiate project.

MVM306

Network IT improvements

Category: Discretionary

 

Target Date Title
30-Apr-18 Closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Jens Brincker for January 2017

 

Achievements

  • List of prioritised switches still waiting to be replaced have been revised/updated
  • Collected suggestions from MVM IS Campus network leads on how to improve working practices and collaborations with ITI CIS.
  • Initial discussion with Duncan P, ITI CIS, on the suggested new working practices and collaboration.
  • ITI CIS have confirmed they are ready to commence the switch replacement work in collaboration with the MVM IS Campus network leads

Issues

  • None

Next Steps

  • Create/Document new procedures covering the new work practices/collaboration
  • Get formal agreement on these procedures
  • Set up kick off meeting for MVM 306
  • ITI CIS and MVM IS Campus network leads to collaboratively plan the switch replacement work

MVM308

Research computing induction

Category: Discretionary

 

Target Date Title
31-Jul-18 Closure
 
RAG Status

AMBER

Report by Anthony Davie for January 2017

 

Achievements

  • None

Issues

  • Continued resourcing issues for identifying PM.

Next Steps

  • Assign project manager and move towards project briefing.

 

MVM310:

Information Governance Standards

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Mar-18 Closure

 

RAG Status

GREEN

Report by David Perry for January 2017

 

Achievements

  • RSS016 has helped demonstrate that IS are missing standard documents for many of their services. SLSP's have now been developed for more of the existing services; including DataStore and the new Data Safe Haven.
  • Agreement to move Closure to 31 Mar 2018

Issues

  • None

Next Steps

  • Continue engagement with RSS016 for a real world example from the College but early adopters for this project may be further into 2018
  • Finish off report

 

MVM312:

Walled Garden Pathfinder

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
30-Mar-18 Closure

 

RAG Status

GREEN

Report by David Perry for January 2017

 

Achievements

  • Continue developing the processes to automatically ingest data generated on laboratory devices that exist outwith the Walled Garden. Solution has been designed; with new hardware procured and received.

  • Reviewed the approach to migrate CJD Walled Garden into the UoE Data Safe Haven

  • Agreement to move Closure to 31 Mar 2018

Issues

  • RSS016 is taking priority over this project as it has a few early adopters that have no infrastructure otherwise.

Next Steps

  • Complete process for automated data ingest; ensure that this process will be applicable for the new Data Safe Haven too.
  • Migrate more project data folders from the old CJD system in to the new Walled Garden. 
  • This project report writing has slipped due to new the above activity and will continue as required.

MVM314:

SEBI - Data Collection and Modelling

Category: Discretionary

 

Milestones
Target Date Title
09-Feb-2018 Re-planning technical deliverables after project suspension
23-Mar-2018 Data Transformation workflows
27-Apr-2018 Deliver Community of Practice Data Platform (SEBI-2)
27-Apr-2018 Livestock interventions data platform (SEBI-1)
22-Jun-2018 Agree long term support arrangements
20-Jul-2018 Closure

 

RAG Status

SUSPENDED

Report by Colin Watt for January 2017

 

Achievements

  • None - project suspended

Issues

  • None

Next Steps

  • Un-suspend in February 2018

 

MVM315

REACH

Category: Discretionary (Sponsor Funded - AUKCAR , Usher Institute)

 

Milestones

Target Date Title
16-Mar-2018 Project closure
 
RAG Status

GREEN

Report by Jamie Thin for December 2017

 

Achievements

  • Web front end tidy-up

    • Staging area created
    • Drupal 8 core patched on 01-Feb
    • webform and uoe_reach module reinstalled on 01-Feb
    • Downtime minimised in LIVE by building staging area and then switching DNS over to enable quick switch-over on 5-Feb 
  • Phase 2a Release - Data Exports - All IS ADO build work complete
    • Successfully deployed Data Exports to LIVE on Tues 19-Dec 
  • Handover to Production Support - in progress
    • Operation Level Agreement (OLA) - Ana Heyn  updated OLA based on feedback from the mtg on 26/10/17, and OLA now approved by Susan Buckingham
    • Team booked for handover sessions and documentation for IS Production management has been completed by project team
    • Peter Jackson has updated the  Technical Architecture Design (TAD) and the  Server level security policy (SLSP)  documents

Issues

  • Support of Front-end website has passed to Susan Buckingham in Reach business team in the Usher institute.
  • Support of the custom oAuth drupal module and the Python / django / mysql stack will pass to IS Apps Production Management
  • Extra effort was required by LTW WGI team  to  tidy up DEV , TEST and LIVE environments, after push to get LIVE for 4-Oct
  • Budget - 16d for Web front end (LTW WGI team) and 90d for back-end integration and project management ( IS Apps). All 16d for LTW WGI have now been used and it is expected another 3 days effort will be needed to complete handover to support for Web front end.

Next Steps

  • Complete handover to IS Apps Production Management 
  • Agree on-going annual support budget with IS Apps production management - propose 6 days in year 1 ( half day a month) - this budget figure can be renewed annually and revised in line with actual spend
  • Close project

 

Section Four: Closed or Withdrawn Projects

None yet this session

 

Section Five: Programme Meeting Minutes

Date Comments
5 February 2018 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - January 2018
30 November 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - November 2017
30 October 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - October 2017
28 September 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - September 2017
31 August 2017 Programme Review Monthly Meeting - August 2017

Programme Info

Documentation

Not available.