Issues relating to authenticating to University wireless and VPN services, and also to Office 365, have been identified as causing significant difficulties and confusion for users, especially when they first join the University. We want to review how these applications authenticate and see if the processes of registration and authentication can be simplified. The project will aim to implement any suggestions for improvement before the start of the 16-17 academic year.
In scope are the investigation of possible changes, and the implementation of any agreed modifications, to:
1. Registration process required for access to the wireless network
2. Registration process for access to the VPN service
3. Authentication usernames and password source for wireless authentication
4. Authentication of usernames and password source for VPN authentication
5. Authentication for Office 365 with special regard to eliminating the double authentication currently required when people access their Office 365 services through MyEd
The changes to the VPN service are no longer in scope for this project as the preliminary investigations have ruled these out [22/06/16]
- remove the need for separate registration (as far as possible)
- change the authentication backend to use an existing username/password source e.g. AD or EASE
- provide a streamlined, single sign-on for Office 365 through MyEd
- improve consistency of usernames and passwords used to authenticate with EASE and AD and look at how we can reduce/avoid people being sent to the Home Realm Discovery page
The intention is to try and implement the above changes before the 16/17 session.
A streamlined wireless service requiring no separate registration.
Consistent usernames and passwords for wireless services with EASE and AD.
A streamlined login process to Office 365 that eliminates, where possible, additional authentication requests especially when accessing the service through MyEd.
An improved user experience for VPN, wireless and Office 365.
Delivering the above features by mid-August 2016.