The VMware Service Improvement project has been initiated to deliver improvements across the ITI Enterprise Services virtual hosting environment by deploying the latest VMware components and management features. The hosting infrastructure will be expanded with the installation of new hosts as well as recycling existing EDINA hosts. The current EDINA VM environment will be migrated onto hosts supported by the ITI Enterprise services team. All hosts will be connected to the new 10GB network and coupled with vCenter improvements in virtual network management the new network will provide the basis for implementing software defined networking (SDN).
In addition, the rationalisation VMWare licencing provisioning and tracking, and the production of quality operational and user documentation will help to provide a more responsive and effective service. Finally, evaluations will be made of certain VMware functions and services such as encrypted VMs and self-service VM provisioning.
The following key deliverables are included in the scope of this project.
- ESXi 6.5 hypervisor upgrades
- VSCAs and PSCs patched to ESXi 6.5 levels
- migrate current EDINA VMs into IS Hosting
- integrate 2 EDINA hosts (xv10/11) into IS Hosting
- retire 4 EDINA hosts (xv6/7/8/9)
- install and configure 7 new VMware hosts
- implement Datastore clusters
- connect hosts to 10GB physical network
- implement vCenter and network OS integration (SDN)
- investigate Fault-Tolerance VMs and demonstrate it
- investigate AWS VM cloning and demonstrate it
- investigate encrypted VMs and demonstrate it
Additional documents are available on the project SharePoint site.
Current project status
|Report Date||RAG||Budget||Effort Completed||Effort to complete|
|February 2020||BLUE||225.0 days||212.0 days||0.0|