ESA1 Office Awards
This project is to deliver the Office Awards as part of the Sustainability Awards programme
Edinburgh Sustainability Awards have been running at the University since 2010 and have grown in participation and reach each year, with additions incrementally being made to the programme to ensure all parts of the University staff and student community have the opportunity to participate. The whole Edinburgh Sustainability Awards programme encompasses numerous awards schemes: Office Awards, Lab Awards, Student Residence Awards, Community Impact Awards, and Changemakers Awards.
In 2018-19, 25 teams from departments across the University participated in the Office Awards. Responses from teams indicated that the Office Awards reaches around 12,600 staff and students. The Office Awards are accredited to NUS Green Impact Labs, although bespoke materials and in-house support is given to student volunteers and teams through the Department for Social Responsibility & Sustainability.
This project relates to the Office Awards strand of the Sustainability Awards.
- Engage the University staff community in making changes for sustainability to day to day practices through the Office Awards, reaching 40% of staff and 40% of student population in conjunction with the Lab Awards
- Capture examples of best practice by Office Awards teams for sharing among the University community and beyond to the UK wide sector
- Work with SRS Programme team to train student volunteers to audit Office Awards teams at the University of Edinburgh
- Staff and Students reached through the actions of Office Awards teams (associated target)
- Number of office buildings which have an office awards team associated with them (some teams operate across multiple buildings) - (measuring baseline, no target)
- Number of office awards teams actively participating or maintaining accreditation (no target)
- Impactful Office Awards scheme achieving change to behaviours across the University providing the appropriate behaviours framework to work towards planned emissions reductions
Resources, Skills and Costs
- Engagement Manager staff time for overall programme management and for Awards review in 2018
- SRS Projects Coordinator time for project management, engaging with Office Awards team to recruit, train, and support them
- Small budget for catering at meetings/events
- Communications team time for materials production and maintenance, online platform maintenance, and promotion of Sustainability Awards
- NUS Scotland – Medium interest/high influence – Maintain as accreditation partner (relationship managed by Engagement Manager)
- Edinburgh University Students’ Association – Medium interest/medium influence – Ensure student interest is represented through Office Awards to maintain Green Impact accreditation[HA6]
- Wider University staff community – Medium interest/medium influence – Essential to engage more widely and increase impact of project outcomes
Current project status
|Report Date||RAG||Budget||Effort Completed||Effort to complete|
|August 2020||AMBER||0.0 days||0.0 days||0.0|