This project is to deliver the Lab Awards in the context of the Sustainability Awards programme. It is also reflected in the Labs Communications & Engagement project as part of the SRS Sustainable Labs programme.
Edinburgh Sustainability Awards have been running at the University since 2010 and have grown in participation and reach each year, with additions incrementally being made to the programme to ensure all parts of the University staff and student community have the opportunity to participate. The whole Edinburgh Sustainability Awards programme encompasses numerous awards schemes: Office Awards, Lab Awards, Student Residence Awards, Community Impact Awards, and Changemakers Awards.
In 2018-19, 13 teams from departments across the University participated in the Lab Awards. Responses from teams indicated that the Lab Awards reaches around 1600 staff and students. The Lab Awards are aligned with the criteria of NUS Green Impact Labs, although bespoke materials and in-house support is given to teams through the Department for Social Responsibility & Sustainability.
This project relates to the Lab Awards strand of the Sustainability Awards, and is also reflected within the Communications & Engagement project as part of the Sustainable Labs programme.
(the below objectives relate to the academic year 2019-20, and replace the targets which previous reporting was set against)
- Engage the University of Edinburgh Labs community in making changes for sustainability to practices through the Lab Awards, aiming to reach 40% of staff and 40% of student population in conjunction with the Office Awards.
- 50% of lab buildings to have a lab awards team associated with them (some teams operate across multiple buildings)
- Capture examples of best sustainability practice by Lab Awards teams for sharing among the University community and beyond to the UK wide sector
- Work with Lab practitioners to deliver peer audits of participating teams
- Staff and Students reached through the actions of Lab Awards teams (associated target)
- Number of lab buildings which have a lab awards team associated with them (some teams operate across multiple buildings) - (associated target)
- Number of lab awards teams actively participating or maintaining accreditation (no target)
- Impactful Lab Awards scheme achieving change to behaviours across the University providing the appropriate behaviours framework to enable staff to contribute to the planned emissions reductions in Climate Strategy, and planned waste reductions in the Waste Strategy.
Resources, Skills and Costs
- Engagement Manager staff time for overall programme management
- Small budget for catering at meetings/events
- SRS Project Coordinator time for project management, engaging with Lab Awards teams to recruit, train, and support them
- Communications team time for materials production and maintenance, online platform maintenance, and promotion of Sustainability Awards
- LEAN network (authors of Green Impact Labs) - Medium interest/medium influence - engage in discussions if/when they want to edit the criteria/methodology
- NUS Scotland – Medium interest/high influence – Maintain as accreditation partner (relationship managed by Engagement Manager)
- University Labs community – Medium interest/high influence – To be engaged in participation and peer audits
- Wider University staff community – Medium interest/medium influence – Essential to engage more widely and increase impact of project outcomes
Current project status
|Report Date||RAG||Budget||Effort Completed||Effort to complete|
|August 2020||AMBER||0.0 days||0.0 days||0.0|