The University of Edinburgh (UoE) Estate’s Asbestos Team manage 3 key areas:
- Initial baselined ACM (Asbestos Containing Materials) surveys of all campus buildings built prior to 2000. These surveys are conducted by 3rd party contractors who take site samples, get the sample laboratory results, and then feed them back into a completed assessment which sets ACM site risk levels.
- Second level surveys conducted if / when any further building work is required under a refurbishment demolition survey.
- Regular re-assessments and updates to the asbestos data are carried out depending on risk levels which are driven by compliance standards and control timelines.
Currently all of the above is managed on a 3rd party application called shineAsbestos which currently sits as a standalone application that mainly only to date the Asbestos Team actively use on a day to day basis.
There is a requirement for an increased ‘joined up’ application with the rest of the Estates department’s Archibus Information Systems to leverage some synergy, standardisation, and data integration. The activities mentioned above are all driven by asbestos legislations, namely the Control of Asbestos Regulation 2012 and HSE (Health and Safety Executive).
- System compliance with relevant Health and Safety primary EU / UK legislation and relevant secondary legislation and HSE Approved Codes of Practice (ACOPS)
- System that is visible to all Estates teams and Integrates with the core Estate’s system (ARCHIBUS)
- System able to collect and give visibility of survey collection information.
- System to be fully auditable.
- Data from the system to be fully reportable (Management Information)
|O1.||Agree Business Requirements and a Solution that delivers a fit for purpose solution to the agreed project scope.||M||Project Services|
|O2.||Build and Implement a fit for purpose Solution that delivers the below benefits to the Asbestos and Wider Estates Teams.||M||Project Services|
|D1 O1||Prioritised Business Requirements|
|D2 O1||Board Agreed Minimum Viable Product|
|D3 O2||Test data available for Business testing and sign-off|
|D4 O2||Production data available for Business sign-off|
|D5 O2||ARCHIBUS data integrated with Help Desk|
- “Joined Up” / Integrated Asbestos Information Data with all impacted resources in Estates and wider university.
- Reduction of the manual Asbestos team’s task workflows with other departments within Estates.
- Possible early adoption of Asbestos teams future system improvements.
- Delivery of a System that performs better or equal to the current system.
- System and any possible integrations are Stable & Reliable
- System that provides more functionality than current system.
- Provides integration with Core Estates System (ARCHIBUS)
- System that provides prioritised agreed business requirement
- System that improves user adoption and usability