This project will deliver the new online assessment application, Practique, for use by the Medical School.
In a 2016 National Student Survey, the School established that improving both the assessment and feedback was the number one priority. The student experience is greatly enhanced when feedback can be provided at the question or topic level. Currently this is difficult without compromising the question bank. Hence, a new online assessment application is required to introduce a faster and much improved student experience. The procurement phase was managed by MVM107.
Following the UoE procurement process with an open tender, FRY-IT and their product Practique were the winning bid. It will be delivered as an offsite/cloud based offering.
This project has been initiated in parallel with MVM107 completing the contract negotiations and MVM119 (delivering data content).
MVM107 - risk 1
MVM119 - risk 4
This project will deploy Practique to support assessment and feedback for MBChB following the successful procurement in MVM107. In parallel, MVM119 will oversee the import of exam content (question and feedback) from OSCA and OSCA+ as well as the generation of new content.
The activities in this project will include:
- deployment of the selected application, Practique from FRY-IT - cloud based hosted on Amazon Web Servers
- provision of training for MBChB users and IS support staff
- configuration and setup of UoE platforms that will support running the exams
- create two new environments; dev/test and production
- support a training session for key MBChB staff on June 27
- develop a pilot to enable MBChB students to assess Practique prior to exams - students from years 2,4,5 and6 will have either a review, demo or a formative style exam to ensure that the first time they use the application is not in a marked exam - a review and feedback loop will occur in order to capture potential configuration, process or app changes
- review the potential of developing an api to APT or provide support for the current process to import csv files into APT/Euclid
- confirm status of exam scores
- Operating Level Agreement (OLA) - with teams such as LTW to provide support for Practique - the Service Level Agreement (SLA should already be confirmed as part of the contract in MVM107
- decommission off OSCA and OSCA+
- schedule a disaster recovery test and a business continuity test
- review key performance indicators
The following activities will need to be covered across both MVM118 and MVM119, TBC whether they will be aligned to either one specifically:
- Communications to all stakeholders - approach planned to have joint communications
- Exam support - both projects delivering components, approach to consider it a shared outcome
- Support MBChB change - not the technical elements surrounding the introduction of a new exam application, but the structural, process and people based change that will emerge
- Set up a user group - they will work with FRY-IT to shape future releases, MBChB requirements and review all change
RFC C1705-140 raised.
Out of scope:-
- No interfaces have been identified as required for student data or Euclid in this project - the project will support the current manual process, but is continuing to engage with Student Systems - it is possible that a change might be introduced - risk raised
- There is currently no known requirement to involve any IS teams other than Project Services - LTW and IS MVM teams currently support OSCA and OSCA+ including system access and exams - they are engaged and part of the Project Team - the project has contacted Ana Heyn and Pater Jackson (both part of the procurement team on MVM107) to review
The production deployment check list has been included. Note; we do not currently have a detailed implementation plan as the contract remains outstanding - see risk MVM107 above. We do have a training plan and are in discussions with FRY-IT and MBChB to agree the scope. It is assumed that these areas will be completed after the project brief has been approved. Any changes will be captured and documented.
Objectives and Deliverables
|O1||The projects objective is to deploy a new application providing assessment and feedback functionality for the MBChB.|
|To create two UoE MBChB environments which will fully support all MBChB exams from 2017-18 onwards||
To construct a user group which will be in place working with the supplier once the project ends
|D3||To support the MBChB through a level of significant change; including process, systems, roles etc||M||Project|
|D4||Deliver as-is approach for MBChB to export data into APT (Reporting hub)||M||
|D5||Create appropriate OLA's - likely MVM and LTW||M||Project|
|D6||Ensure OSCA and OSCA+ are decommissioned||M||Project/LTW|
|D7||Execute tests for FRY-IT disaster recovery and UoE business continuity||S||Project|
Improving assessment and feedback of the students is considered the number one priority for the Medical School. This will be achieved by the deployment, data migration/creation and level of support for Practique provided by these projects. It is a strategic target to improve student satisfaction and it is believed that this tool will greatly enhance the student experience.
It is anticipated that there will be a further benefit from decommissioning OSCA and OSCA+. Currently we have no confirmation of existing costs attributed to them, but have requested the information.
Supporting the execution of a series of exams during 2017-18 with quality data and improved best practise.
(as of Tuesday May 30, 2017)
|Target Date||Previous Date||Title||Stage||Complete|
|05-May-2017||No date available||IS WIS approval for initiation and ASTA submission||Initiate||Yes|
|02-Jun-2017||No date available||End of Planning - Project brief approval||Plan||Yes|
|09-Jun-2017||26-May-2017||Dependency MVM107 contract with FRY-IT signed||Plan||No|
|30-Jun-2017||No date available||Environments ready to support Mock Exam content ready to run milestone for MVM119||Execute||No|
|31-Jul-2017||No date available||Generic TBC - api into Euclid, single sign on and exam room preparation activity complete and tested||Execute||No|
|31-Aug-2017||No date available||Training complete to support September/October 2017 Exam||Execute||No|
|29-Sep-2017||No date available||Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Testing complete||Execute||No|
|21-Dec-2017||No date available||Recommendation report created||Execute||No|
|31-Jan-2018||No date available||Close report created||Execute||No|