The purpose of this project is to facilitate the move of this service to a centralised team for ongoing development and support.
The BMS Honours Project Portal was enhanced to include improvements for resilience and robustness, as well as new features as specified by the client.
The updates were deployed for use on the 3rd October, in time for the students and supervisors to choose their projects for the 2020/21 academic year.
Key Learning Points
- We would have benefitted from having a test server that stake holders could have accessed during development to ensure that stake holder expectations were aligned with work done.
- The original site was not written well, so improvements were limited by what could be achieved in the existing structure.
- There was no automated tests in the existing site, nor were any added, which would have been useful to catch some issues later found in the site.
- A more agile approach may have been of use, to capture and work through the required amendments.
- We found some minor bugs after launch which have since been resolved. We anticipate there will be some more minor bugs found during the life of the system which we will address as part of our normal maintenance tasks.
- Issues are being logged on the repository issues list, for future resolution.