The IS Applications Three Year Rolling Planning process is used annually to agree priorities for IT systems development priorities for the following three years.
The process is made up of a number of stages:
- Initial consultation to produce 3-year directional statements and identify major initiatives potentially requiring Business Owner funding
- Produce initial list of prioritised 3-year proposal suggestions using simple templates
- Estimation of these proposal suggestions based on simplified Small. Medium, Large and Extra-Large categorisation
- Prioritisation of proposal suggestions carried out at portfolio level
- Production of first draft prioritised list of proposal suggestions - First Draft "Red-Line"
- Preparation of fully described and costed project proposals carried out - only required for Large and Extra-Large proposals above First Draft "Red-Line"
- Completion of Mid-Year Review to confirm carry over and resubmissions
- Production of second draft prioritised list of projects - Second Draft "Red-Line" taking into account more detailed estimation above and impact of the Mid-Year Review
- Feedback and review of Second Draft prioritised list by the IT Governance Group
- Final list of prioritised projects for 2014/15 to 2016/17
For 2014 the process runs from October 2013 to May 2014