We have identified several sources of loss of knowledge within our team, including:
- Staff absence / no longer in post
- Poor memory
- Fragmentation of available documentation over several sources
This project aims to create a single place to look for technical knowledge within PPLS, which would solve these problems.
This project would initially be limited to the PPLS IT team as users, though it might make sense to make the information public or University-wide in order to share with central IS when working on queries. This project to set up the repository will run for at least the academic year 18/19; this may be extended or transferred to maintenance depending on progress.
Once this project is concluded, there should be an accessible, easy-to-use web repository for technical knowledge in PPLS which allows users to:
- Record short KB entries containing text and command line input
- Upload files, including screenshots, to be connected with these entries
- Search previous entries
- EASE authentication should be used if possible
- URLs for entries should be short, and at least minimally human-readable
An online repository for technical knowledge as described in the Objectives.
The PPLS IT team will have a better institutional memory.
Immediately after the repository is available, PPLS IT staff should be creating new entries as a matter of course in their work.
One year after the repository is available, PPLS IT staff should be querying the repository as a matter of course in their work.
- Select software for repository (target end S1 18/19)
- Perform necessary customisation (target end S2 18/19)
- Deploy (target end S2 18/19)